Learn how to make a basic vegan pesto with just 7 simple ingredients and about 5 minutes of your time!
- 1.5 ounces (2 cups packed) fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts* (see notes)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Optional: black pepper, to taste
- Into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade, add in the basil, pine nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Pulse until everything is well combined and coarsely ground, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Next, process everything on high speed and begin to slowly drizzle in the olive oil until you have added the full 1/3 cup. Stop the food processor, scrape down the sides and and season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, add in more olive oil to reach 1/2 cup.
- Feel free to tweak this recipe as you desire! You can add more or less lemon juice, nuts, etc. based on your preference!
- Pine nuts: If you don’t want to use pine nuts, slivered almonds and sunflower seeds are great substitutions.
- Garlic: If you don’t have or don’t want to use fresh garlic, you can use 3/8 teaspoon garlic powder instead.
- Nutritional yeast: This is used in place of parmesan cheese. If you aren’t a fan of it, you can opt for a vegan parmesan cheese alternative instead.
- Extra virgin olive oil: High quality olive oil is recommended as it will result in a better tasting pesto!
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Food Processor
Keywords: basil, pesto, lemon, pine nuts, lemon, sauce, dressing, easy