This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Hot and fluffy garlic herb dinner rolls baked to perfection and smothered in an herb-infused butter, can it get any better than that?
Get ready to roll up to your family gatherings and holiday parties in style this year! We’ve got you covered with these dinner rolls recipe that is sure to blow everyone’s minds.
We recently made this for a holiday party, and it was an absolute hit. If anything, we recommend making two because chances are, this bread won’t last for the first few minutes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Lukewarm almond milk: the temperature should be between 105 and 110°F for proofing.
- Granulated sugar: Provides food for the yeast, speeds up rise time during proofing, and enhances the flavor.
- Active dry yeast: We used active dry yeast which needs to proof separately before mixing with the rest of the ingredients. If you want to use instant yeast, use 25 percent less active dry.
- All-purpose flour: All purpose flour has a lower protein content as well as less gluten than bread flour, resulting in a light, airy, and chewy bread.
- Herbs: You can use any combination of fresh herbs that you’d like! We used a mix of sage, thyme, and rosemary, but we also like this bread with basil, oregano, chives, dill, and parsley.
- Salt: Not only does salt add flavor, but it also works to tighten the gluten strands that are formed, which makes them stronger.
- Baking Powder: A chemical leavening agent that heps the dough rise when baked. Be sure not to mix it up with baking soda!
- Garlic: We use both garlic powder and fresh garlic for this recipe! The former is baked into the loaf, while the latter is used in herbed garlic butter that the bread is slathered with.
- Vegan butter: Used in both the bread for fat and also in the flavor packed herbed garlic butter at the end.
How To Make Garlic Herb Bread
In a medium-sized bowl, add in the lukewarm almond milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix until dissolved and then add in the yeast. Set it aside to activate for 8-10 minutes, or until foamy.
To a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer), add in the remaining sugar, all-purpose flour, herbs, salt, baking powder, and garlic powder. Mix until uniform. Pour in the activated yeast as well as the melted butter and mix until uniform. Mix together until a smooth dough forms, using your hands as necessary. Add more flour or more almond milk as needed, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon at a time.
Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Knead for 5-10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and bounces back when poked. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, tossing once, and cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap.
Set it aside in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Lightly grease your cast-iron skillet (or baking dish of your choice). Set aside. Once the dough rises, divide it into 15 equal pieces and form them into balls.
Evenly arrange the dough balls in the cast iron skillet. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and set it aside in a warm place to rise once again for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Bake for 30-34 minutes, or until golden brown. Once the rolls have baked, brush them liberally with the garlic herb butter. Enjoy!
Other recipe you might enjoy:
- 5-Ingredient Gluten-Free Flatbread
- 5-Ingredient French Bread Pizza
- Easy Vegan Banana Bread (One-Bowl)
- Vegan Pandesal (Filipino Bread Rolls)
- Fluffy Vegan Egg Bread (No Bread Maker Needed)
- Easy Vegan Garlic Bread (4-Ingredients)
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!