Grilled cheese brought to a whole new level! This vegan caprese grilled cheese will satisfy anyone, vegan or not! It is easy to make, decadent and so dang good!
- 2 slices of fresh sourdough bread (or bread of choice)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, softened or 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced in half
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 slices vegan mozzarella (we used Miyoko’s VeganMozz)
- 2 thick slices of tomatoes (we used Roma tomatoes)
- Coat both sides of the 2 slices of bread with either vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil, saving any extra for later. Next rub both sides of each slice of bread with the halved garlic cloves.
- Add the remaining vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil to medium pan or grill pan over medium-low heat. As the pan heats up, prepare the sandwich by layering vegan mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes on one slice. Place the remaining slice of bread on top to close the sandwich and add it to the pan.
- Use a weight or heavy object to press the sandwich down to allow for proper melting of the cheese*. Cook on each side for between 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, slice in half, and enjoy!
- We use a brick covered in multiple layers of foil to press our sandwiches. You can also use a panini press to achieve this same effect.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes