This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Did someone say Vegan Big Mac Sauce? It tastes just like the classic special sauce from McDonald’s, but without the eggs! Now get out your favorite vegan patties and burger buns, and get ready to enjoy this American favorite!
It’s been over a decade since I’ve had a real Big Mac from McDonald’s, but when I first tried this recipe, it took me right back!
If you’ve never had a Big Mac, get ready to experience the next closest thing! You only need a few simple ingredients to make Vegan Big Macs at home, complete with homemade vegan special sauce. It’s so dang good!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Vegan mayonnaise – For this recipe, we used Vegenaise, but opt for your favorite store-bought vegan mayo. Avoid regular mayos because they contain egg and are not vegan-friendly.
- Ketchup – This condiment is naturally vegan and a staple we always keep stocked in our Vegan Fridge. Feel free to use any store-bought ketchup or if you’re up for it, make your own Homemade Ketchup from scratch!
- Mustard – We like to use stone ground mustard to give it a little extra kick, but a mild yellow mustard or even dijon mustard would work well, too!
- Sweet relish – Big Mac sauce contains pickle relish, so we used sweet relish. If preferred, opt for dill relish or even finely dice up some jarred pickles in a pinch!
- Apple cider vinegar – A small splash of acidity helps brighten up the big mac sauce recipe and brings it to life. If you’re out of apple cider vinegar, use regular white vinegar or a teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Spices – We use a simple combination of garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. If you love a garlicky flavor, feel free to replace the garlic powder with 1 minced garlic clove. You can also use smoked paprika for a smokier Big Mac sauce!
How to Make Vegan Big Mac Sauce
- Combine ingredients. In a small or medium-sized bowl, add the mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, sweet pickle relish, apple cider vinegar, and spices. Stir well to combine.
- Thin out big mac sauce, if desired. If you find your sauce is too thick, add water 1 teaspoon at a time until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until chilled.
The best part about this homemade sauce is you can put it on literally everything. The obvious choice is spreading it on a sesame seed bun and making your own Vegan Big Mac with burger patties like these Black Bean Burgers, Grillable Veggie Burgers, or store-bought Beyond burgers.
You can also use it to make our to die for Vegan Big Mac Fries, dunk Vegan Chicken Nuggets, Beer Battered Onion Rings, Potato Wedges, or drizzle it on a side salad, Breakfast Tater Tot Nachos, Crispy Fiesta Potatoes, or Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts Chips. You really can’t go wrong!
This vegan Big Mac sauce will keep for up to 7 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
We haven’t tested freezing this Big Mac sauce, but honestly, it’s so delicious, we don’t think you’ll have any leftovers to freeze anyway!
The McDonald’s Big Mac is made bottom to top using a bottom bun, Big Mac sauce, lettuce, cheese, burger patty, second bottom bun, Big Mac sauce, lettuce, pickles, chopped white onion, burger patty, and a top bun! Use this same formula using vegan ingredients!
The McDonald’s Big Mac sauce does not contain dairy (in the United States, at least!). It is not vegan because it contains eggs. This homemade version is free of both dairy and eggs.
Vegan mayonnaise is typically oil-based, but depending on the brand or recipe, some vegan mayonnaise is made creamy with ingredients such as tofu or cashews instead of oil. If you’d like to make this Vegan Big Mac sauce oil-free and Whole Food Plant-Based, try making our friend Caitlin’s Easy Vegan Mayo Recipe.
More Homemade Vegan Sauce Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Easy Vegan Chipotle Sauce
- Peanut Sauce
- Date-Sweetened Barbecue Sauce
- Vegan Tartar Sauce
- Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional’s advice. This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!