These grilled twice baked potatoes are the perfect party appetizer or side dish! They are easy to make and packed with flavor. No one will even know they are vegan!
- 6 medium russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 recipe tempeh bacon (or vegan bacon of choice), crumbled small or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese (we used Follow Your Heart), roughly chopped*
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- Vegan sour cream* (we used Follow Your Heart)
- Prepare the potatoes. Wash the potatoes and prick them with a sharp knife or fork, making about 4-5 incisions on each potato. This will allow steam to escape while the potato bakes.
- For the next step, you can do this in either a microwave, oven or on the grill, depending on your preference plus how much time you have. See notes for more details. For the microwave, place the potatoes on a large microwave-safe plate. Place in microwave for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. The potatoes should give a little when pressed after cooking.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the tempeh bacon if you have not already done so. Set aside and preheat your grill to 400°F. See notes for oven baked option.
- Remove the potatoes from the microwave/oven/grill. If wrapped in foil, carefully unwrap. Also the potatoes to cool slightly, just until they are easy to handle. With a sharp knife, slice the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the insides of the potato and add it to a large bowl. Be sure to leave about a 1/3” wall in the potato in to give it a solid base.
- Add the cream cheese, almond milk, and dill to the bowl with the insides of the potatoes. Mix with a fork or potato masher until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Evenly spoon the mixture into the potato skins and then top with tempeh bacon and vegan cheese, about 1 teaspoon of each per potato half.
- Carefully place the potatoes directly on grill grates and close lid. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the potatoes have browned on the bottom. Be sure to check on the potatoes at least halfway though to be sure they do not burn.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill and generously top with vegan sour cream and green onions.
- To soften up in the oven (step 1): Preheat the oven to 400°F. Wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil and place them directly on the middle or top rack of the oven. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. They should give a little when pressed.
- To soften up in the grill (step 1): Preheat grill to 400°F. Wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil, place them on the grill rack and close lid. Bake the potatoes in the grill for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. They should give a little when pressed.
- To bake in the oven (step 6): Bake the potatoes in the oven at 350°F until warmed through, about 15-20 minutes.
- For the vegan sour cream drizzle, we like to add ours to a squeeze bottle with a tiny bit of water to help get it to a drizzle-able consistency. You can also just dollop the sour cream on top to make it easier.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Side, Party
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Appetizer, Side, Party, Twice Baked, Potato, Labor Day