Just like the mozzarella sticks you enjoyed as a kid, except 100% vegan. These sticks are perfect for a party or game day snack. They’re soft and melty on the inside, perfectly crunchy on the outside and so dang good paired with marinara sauce.
- Canola oil or oil of choice, for frying
- 1 package vegan mozzarella cheese (we used Miyoko’s, see notes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs* (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- Homemade marinara sauce, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oil in deep fryer to around 370 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife, cut vegan mozzarella block in half long ways, and then into 1/2” strips. Set in fridge while preparing the batter.
- In a medium bowl, add in the almond milk, 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk together until all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, add the bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Whisk and set aside.
- In a third bowl, add the remaining all-purpose flour and set aside.
- Create a breading station: line up the bowl of almond milk batter, the bowl of all-purpose flour, and the bowl of bread crumbs.
- Remove the vegan mozzarella from the refrigerator and set a large plate or baking sheet aside. Grab four forks. Use one set of the forks (“wet-forks”) to pick up (do not pierce) one stick of mozzarella and submerge it completely in the batter. Shake off any excess and then drop it into the flour. Using the second set of forks (dry-forks), coat it completely in the flour. Pick up the stick using the “wet forks” and dunk it back into the batter, shaking off any excess. Drop the stick into the breadcrumb mixture and then using the “dry forks” generously coat it. Transfer the breaded stick onto the plate or baking sheet that you set aside and continue until you have coated all of the sticks. It is important to use the “wet forks” only for the batter and then the “dry forks” only for the flour and bread crumbs as this will prevent clumping and will also yield less of a mess.
- Once all of the sticks are coated, line a plate with paper towel and set it aside. Pop the mozzarella sticks into the heated oil and fry them for 2-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once finished, transfer the mozzarella sticks to the paper towel-lined plate and allow them to cool until easy to handle.
- Serve with marinara sauce and enjoy!
- It helps to use two sets of two forks, 1 set for the battering and 1 set for the coating. This will help to avoid clumping.
- For this recipe, we used Miyoko’s Mozzarella Cheese (pictured above). You can use any vegan block mozzarella cheese of your choice, and you can even use a stack of vegan mozzarella cheese slices (just don’t separate the pieces). We like the flavor or the Miyoko’s the best but we have also tried this with Chao Cheese and it was pretty dang good!
- You can also use Italian bread crumbs in place of the bread crumbs with Italian seasoning, just be sure that they are vegan.
- You can also freeze before frying, but both ways work!
- Baking Instructions: Once battered and breaded, place into the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Air Fry Instructions: Once battered and breaded, place into the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then air-fry at 350 degrees for 7 minutes or until golden.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Snack, Party
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Mozzarella, Sticks, Italian, Snack, Party, Super Bowl, Vegan