A hearty, creamy and dairy-free potato leek soup that will most definitely hit the spot during these cold winter months. It’s made with just 8 simple ingredients and can be made both oil and gluten-free!
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth* (see notes)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup unsweetened oat milk or almond milk
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Salt + pepper, to taste
Serve with (optional)
- 4 mini round sourdough bread loaves (check this brand out if gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- Green onions, finely chopped
- Red pepper flakes
- Dill, finely chopped
- Pumpkin seeds
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add in 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth. Once heated through, add in the leeks and onion, and sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes more, adding 2 more tablespoons of vegetable broth as needed to prevent burning.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth, oat milk, and bay leaf. Mix until uniform and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- As the soup simmers, prepare the bread bowls. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using a serrated knife, cut into the bread at an inward slope about 1/2” deep. Move around the bread loaf until you have cut a circle and remove the lid. Remove most of the bread from the bowl, leaving about 1-inch. If you are using oil, lightly oil the insides of the bowl and lid with a pastry brush, using about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil per bowl. Transfer the bowl onto the baking sheet and pop it into the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Take the soup off of heat and remove the bay leaf. Transfer half of the mixture into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add in the remaining soup along with the dill and green onion and pulse until it reaches your desired consistency. We like ours a bit chunky. You can also use an immersion blender for this.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour the desired amount into the prepared bread bowls, add toppings of choice and dig in!
- As the soup simmers, it will thicken. If it is too thick for your liking, simply add more vegetable broth as needed.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 27 minutes
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Method: Stovetop, Blender
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Potato, Leek, Soup, entree, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, easy