Tender, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth good vegan portobello mushroom steaks. This is an easy vegan and gluten-free entree that is perfect for holiday dinners or date nights at home. The recipe is simple and will be ready in less than an hour!
- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (We used Edward & Son’s)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2–1 teaspoon black pepper (depending on how pepper-y you would like it)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- De-stem each portobello mushroom, leaving just the caps. Discard, compost or save the stems for homemade vegetable broth. Set mushroom caps aside.
- In a large-sized wide and shallow dish, combine all of the ingredients except for the mushrooms. Whisk together until fully combined.
- Add in the portobello mushroom caps to the marinade and flip them back and forth a few times for fully coat both sides. If needed, use a spoon to pour the marinade over the mushrooms. Allow the mushrooms to marinate for at least 15-30 minutes, the longer the better!
- Once the mushrooms have marinated, heat a grill or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once warmed, add the portobello mushrooms along with any remaining marinade* and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes, or until softened and a deep golden brown. Gently flip the mushrooms as they will be fragile!
- Serve warm with sides of choice. This goes well with mashed potatoes or our fall rice pilaf!
- We grilled asparagus to serve alongside our portobello mushroom steaks. Instead of pouring the remaining marinade in with the mushrooms, we saved it and used it to marinate the asparagus. It turned out delicious and is highly recommended!
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Entree, Holiday
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Entree, Holiday, Mushroom, Portobello, Steak, Smoke, Christmas, Thanksgiving