This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This vegan spinach artichoke dip is rich and creamy, full of flavor, and the best vegan dip for game days, holidays and hosting. It’s made with just 12 simple ingredients in less than 1 hour. Use this decadent dip to impress your friends and family at your next gathering!
Spinach Artichoke dip was always a favorite of mine before going vegan. And after many rounds of testing, this vegan and gluten-free version has the same flavors and textures as the classic version, but it’s entirely free from animal products.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Vegan Cream Cheese: This makes the vegan dip extra rich and creamy. We like to use the vegan cream cheese brand Kite Hill, but there are many other brands available. If you feel like going the extra mile, we also have a homemade cashew cream cheese you can make.
- Silken Tofu: Another component to make it nice and creamy. Silken tofu is high in water content, making it super easy to blend into a creamy, thick vegan dip base.
- Onion + Garlic: To make the best, most flavor vegan spinach artichoke dip, using sauteed onions and garlic is essential. Note that it is best to cook the onions until translucent first, then stir in the garlic to prevent them from burning.
- Lemon Juice: This acidity helps add a bright, fresh flavor to the rich vegan dip. For best results, use freshly squeezed lemon juice. Bottled lemon juice is almost always watered down and has a different flavor.
- Nutritional Yeast: Not only will nutritional yeast add a cheese-like taste to our vegan dip, but it will also provide some additional vitamins and minerals. It’s important to note that nutritional yeast and brewer’s yeast are commonly confused but are very different. We like to use Bragg nutritional yeast.
- Herbs & Spices: We kept the seasoning blend for this recipe pretty simple to highlight the cheesy flavors and spinach and artichoke dip. All you’ll need is salt, pepper and fresh chives.
- Almond Milk: We used our homemade unsweetened almond milk to make our dip, but you can use any unsweetened plant milk of your choice.
- Artichoke Hearts: It’s best and easiest to use pre-chopped artichoke hearts jarred in water. Be careful not to buy artichoke hearts packed in oil. These artichokes are much stronger in flavor and will greatly change the flavor and consistency of the dip due to the added oil.
- Spinach: We like to use frozen spinach in our dip. To make things easy, we recommend thawing and defrosting the spinach beforehand, but if needed, it can be thawed quickly by running it under hot water in a fine mesh strainer. Strain the excess moisture, then add it to your dip.
- Dairy-Free Parmesan Cheese: This will help enhance the flavor and texture of our dip and make it ultra delicious. You can use dairy-free parmesan crumbles, shreds, or you can grate a block of parm, which is what we did. Our favorite vegan parmesan brands to use are Follow Your Heart and Violife.
How to Make Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Saute the onions and garlic. In a small pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once warm, add the onions and garlic. Saute until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Blend the cream base. Using a high-powered blender or food processor, add the vegan cream cheese, tofu, onions, garlic, almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend until completely smooth and creamy!
- Pulse in the spinach and artichokes. Add in the spinach and artichokes, parmesan, chives and pulse a couple of times but do not blend! You want there to be texture in the dip. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Bake. Transfer the vegan artichoke dip to a greased oven-safe dish and bake for 20 minutes or until warm and slightly golden on top.
- Serve. This vegan dip is best served warm with desired dippers. Enjoy!
- Vegan cream cheese alternatives: If you don’t want to use cream cheese or cannot find one in stores near you, substitute it with dairy-free sour cream. Kite Hill and Tofutti both sell popular choices. Or, use our 3-Ingredient Cashew Cream Cheese.
- Using fresh artichokes: If desired, you can make this vegan dip using fresh artichoke hearts. Check out this Best and Easiest Method for Cooking Artichokes. If using fresh, you’ll need 5 ounces of artichoke hearts (weighed after cooking).
- Using fresh spinach: If desired, you can substitute the frozen chopped spinach with fresh spinach. Cook it down in a pan until condensed then allow to cool. Squeeze out any excess moisture before pulsing it into the vegan dip.
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese substitute: For a healthier, more whole foods dip, use our 4-Ingredient Vegan Parmesan Cheese instead of opting for a store-free brand. It is oil-free and easy to make in just 5 minutes.
How to Serve Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
The possibilities are endless when it comes to how you enjoy your spinach artichoke dip. Here are some of our favorite ways to serve it:
- Serve it in a bread bowl. Our 4-Ingredient No Knead Bread makes an amazing bread bowl for vegan dips, or buy a sourdough or rye bread bowl. Hollow out the center of the boule, then cube up the removed bread as dippers!
- Fresh vegetable platter. If you’re making a vegan holiday platter with carrot sticks, celery sticks, sliced bell peppers, and more, you can’t go wrong with adding vegan spinach artichoke dip to the spread.
- Crackers. Dips and crackers are two things that go together just as well as peanut butter and jelly. We love to pair this hot vegan dip with water crackers, whole wheat crackers, buttery “ritz”-style crackers, chia veggie crackers, or even our homemade pita bread.
- Toasted bread. Slice a fresh baguette, coat it with some oil and seasonings, then broil it until golden. You’ll have perfect crunchy bread to serve with you vegan dip in minutes.
- Spread it on a sandwich. Slather leftover spinach artichoke dip on two slices of our homemade whole wheat bread and Vegan Deli Meat or a Vegan Grilled Cheese for the ultimate lunch.
- Bake it into mac and cheese. If you’ve never tried our baked spinach-artichoke mac and cheese, you’re in for a treat! It’s the best way to use up any leftover dip.
Make Ahead Option and Storage Instructions
To make ahead, prepare this vegan spinach artichoke dip and transfer it to your desired baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or reusable wrap, and store in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. When ready to bake, pull from the refrigerator, bring to room temperature for 20 minutes, then bake until warm and golden.
This baked vegan spinach artichoke dip will store well in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. We have not tested freezing this vegan dip, but from experience, we don’t think it would freeze well. The creamy dip base may separate and make the vegan dip grainy in consistency.
More Homemade Vegan Dips You May Enjoy:
- Easy 7-Layer dip
- Vegan French Onion Dip
- Creamy Baked Onion Dip (Vegan + 9-Ingredients)
- Easy Vegan Black Bean Dip (Oil-free + 7-Ingredients)
- Vegan Street Corn Dip (Easy + ready in 15-minutes)
- Creamy Caramelized Onion Dip
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!