A vegan cream cheese recipe that is made from cashews and easy to make! Plus, it requires just 3 simple ingredients. Get ready to bring your bagels to the next level!
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 3 vegan probiotic capsules (about 1 1/2 tsp powdered probiotics)*
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Place the cashews in a small bowl and cover them with filtered water. Allow the cashews to soak for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight. Once soaked, drain the cashews completely.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, add in the cashews and 1/4 cup water. Blend together until smooth, scraping the sides down as needed. Add more water as needed to blend into a thick and smooth paste.
- Place this mixture into a clean bowl and mix in the probiotics and the salt. You will need to break open the probiotic capsules and dispose of the casing.
- Loosely cover with a piece of cheesecloth*. Use a rubber band or a piece of string to hold the cheesecloth down. Allow the cashew cream cheese to sit at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours to culture.
- Taste test to make sure it is as tangy as you would like. Add in the salt and mix thoroughly.
- Put a lid on the cashew cream cheese (or transfer it to a container that has a lid) and place it in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Make sure the probiotics you use are capsules and not pills. You will be opening the capsules and emptying the contents into the cheese. We purchased this bottle of probiotics. We know it comes with a lot, but you can also take it orally to improve your gut health!
- If you do not have a cheesecloth, you can also use a nut milk bag, plastic wrap with a few holes poked into it, or a clean mesh produce bag.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Prep Time: 18 hours
- Category: Spread, Side, Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Cream, Cheese Cashew, Vegan, Dairy Free, Breakfast, Cultured, Spread