I’m here today to share with you an easy homemade tempeh bacon recipe that requires 8-ingredients and is just so damn delicious.
All you have to do is whisk everything together and set it aside to marinate, then cook it up in a pan until it is golden brown. This is the perfect protein-packed addition to your next breakfast!One of our favorite things to buy at the grocery store is the tempeh bacon from a brand called Light Life, and after years of being hooked on their product, we decided it was finally time for us to try to make our own at home.
To our surprise, homemade tempeh bacon is very simple–we had most of the ingredients on hand (minus the tempeh) and it was ready in just 15 minutes.You can serve it in a sandwich, burrito, salad, pasta, Buddha bowl, whatever your heart desires! Call me crazy, but we even like to enjoy it alone as a savory and salty snack! If you make this recipe, let us know what you think in the comments below! + If you post any photos on Instagram, make sure you tag us @sweetsimplevegan and @consciouschris so that we don’t miss it, we love seeing your photos!Print
An easy homemade tempeh bacon recipe that requires 8-ingredients! Just whisk everything together, marinate, and cook it up to perfection. This is the perfect protein-packed addition to your next breakfast!
- 1 (8 oz.) package of tempeh, sliced into ~16 thin slices (we use Light Life or Yves)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar*
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup*
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, optional
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or cooking oil of choice), optional*
- Slice the tempeh as thin as you can without it falling apart.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a shallow and wide bowl (with a fitted lid if possible). Add the tempeh slices to the marinade, cover with the lid and shake to fully coat. You can also mix by hand as well, being careful not to break the tempeh. Allow it to marinate for 5-10 minutes (the longer the better).
- Heat a medium to large pan over medium-high heat with coconut oil. Once heated through, add the tempeh along with all of the leftover marinade and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove from pan and transfer to a plate. Adjust salt to taste and serve immediately.
- Add more or less maple syrup, depending on how sweet you want it.
- You can use coconut, apple cider, balsamic or white vinegar depending on your preference.
- We have found the best results when using a bit of oil to cook our tempeh. If you wish not to use oil, just be sure to use a nonstick pan and add water if needed to prevent burning.
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. However, this page may contain affiliate links, thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!