An easy homemade tempeh bacon recipe that requires 8-ingredients! Just whisk everything together, marinate, and cook it up to perfection. This is the perfect protein-packed addition to your next breakfast!
- 1 (8 oz.) package of tempeh, sliced into ~16 thin slices (we use Light Life or Yves)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar*
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup*
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, optional
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Slice the tempeh as thin as you can without it falling apart.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a shallow and wide bowl (with a fitted lid if possible). Add the tempeh slices to the marinade, cover with the lid and shake to fully coat. You can also mix by hand as well, being careful not to break the tempeh. Allow it to marinate for 5-10 minutes (the longer the better).
- Heat a medium to large pan over medium-high heat with oil. Once heated through, add the tempeh along with all of the leftover marinade and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove from pan and transfer to a plate. Adjust salt to taste and serve immediately.
- Add more or less maple syrup, depending on how sweet you want it.
- You can use coconut, apple cider, balsamic or white vinegar depending on your preference.
- We have found the best results when using a bit of oil to cook our tempeh. If you wish not to use oil, just be sure to use a nonstick pan and add water if needed to prevent burning.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes