It’s grilling season and we are celebrating with this Grilled Vegetable Salad. It’s perfect for a weekend barbecue or even just a weeknight dinner at home. Served with our 5-minute tahini dressing and spiced chickpeas– it’s a salad that you’re not going to want to miss!
- 5-Minute Tahini Dressing
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 bell peppers, cut into thick slices
- 1 large zucchini, cut into thick rounds
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends removed and cut into thirds
- 4 oz. crimini mushrooms, cut into thick slices
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 4 lemons, halved
- 1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and black pepper, as desired
- Place the kale into a large salad bowl along with about 1/2 of the tahini dressing. Using clean hands, massage the tahini into the kale by scrunching up large handfuls at a time until the kale softens and the tahini is well incorporated. Add more tahini dressing as needed or desired. Set aside.
- For the vegetables: Preheat your grill on medium heat for 10 minutes. We didn’t use oil but you can oil it if you’d like. Alternatively you can preheat an oiled grill pan on high. Add the vegetables to the grill and cook, turning often, until they are charred to your liking, about 10-20 minutes depending on the grill and the vegetables. Some of the vegetables will cook faster than others depending on their size and variety.
- For the chickpeas: In a small bowl, mix together all of the spices until uniform, and then set aside. Add the chickpeas to a cast iron skill (or a grill safe pan), and evenly sprinkle over the spices. Mix together until the chickpeas are well coated and then transfer the pan to a heated grill. Cook, stirring often, until the chickpeas have browned and dried out, about 5-8 minutes.
- Assembly: Once the corn has cooled enough to handle, use a sharp knife to remove the the kernels from the cob. Place your desired amount of kale into your serving bowl and then dress it with vegetables and chickpeas. Drizzle some additional tahini dressing on top as desired and serve it with an extra half or wedge of lemon. Enjoy!
- We decided to grill a few lemons and use those in our tahini dressing. It added a fun charred element to them + the lemons were gorgeous!
- You can really use any vegetables of your choice in this salad, these are just what we had on hand this day!
- If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can cook the chickpeas on your stovetop. Add them to a pan over medium-low heat with the oil, stirring often, until they have browned a bit. You can also cook the chickpeas in your oven by placing the seasoned chickpeas on a lined pan and placing them into the oven at 400F for 20-25 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Entree, Salad
- Method: Grill or Stovetop
Keywords: Entree, Salad, Grilled Vegetables, Summer, Vegan