This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Everyone at your next game day party or get-together will love these Vegan Jalapeño Popper Wonton Cups! Crispy, bite-sized cups filled with a rich and creamy jalapeño cream cheese filling. Made with 6 simple ingredients!
Table of Contents
When you think of vegan wontons, you likely think of Vegan Wonton Soup or crispy vegan snacks like our Mini Meatless Pies or Bubbly Spring Rolls. But when oven-baked, these versatile wrappers make a mini, edible cup that’s perfect for stuffing with a decadent, creamy filling. These jalapeño popper cups have everything you love about classic vegan jalapeño poppers – all stuffed in a crispy, savory, bite-sized cup.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Vegan butter: Used for brushing the wonton wrappers to make them crisp and golden brown. If you do not have a vegan butter on hand, brush with additional vegetable oil.
- Vegan bacon: Adding finely chopped vegan bacon is optional, but we love the savory, smoky addition. Opt for your favorite vegan store-bought brand, or go the homemade route. Our Tempeh Bacon, Tofu Bacon, and Vegan Rice Paper Bacon would work really well. Just prepare as instructed, then pan fry to make extra crispy!
- Vegan cream cheese: We used a store-bought cream cheese when developing this recipe, but if you’d like a homemade option, try our Homemade Vegan Cream Cheese recipe!
- Vegan cheeese shreds: Opt for any vegan cheddar cheese shreds of choice. Or, if preferred, vegan mozzarella would likely work well, too!
- Vegan sour cream: the perfect garnish for these jalapeño popper cups. The Follow Your Heart brand, Tofutti, and Forager, are all great options!
- Jalapeño peppers: You’ll need 3-4 fresh jalapeños. To keep the spice level down, remove the seeds before dicing. You can also replace half (or all) of the peppers with green bell pepper to make them even more mild.
- Wonton wrappers: To ensure this appetizer is vegan-friendly, we like to use Twin Dragon. Feel free to use any vegan wonton wrappers you have access to.
- 12-cup muffin tin
- Large skillet (if using bacon)
- Pastry brush
- Mixing bowl
How to Make Vegan Jalapeño Popper Wonton Cups
- Cook the bacon (if using). In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Once hot, add the chopped vegan bacon and cook until the bacon begins to crisp up, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Press the wonton wrappers into muffin tin cups. Brush both sides of the wonton wrapper with vegan butter. Place each wrapper into a muffin tin cup and press it down and against the sides to form a cup. Repeat with all 12 wonton wrappers.
- Bake. Transfer the muffin tin to the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove it and set it aside.
- Prepare the jalapeño popper filling. While the wonton cups bake, make the filling. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the softened vegan cream cheese, vegan cheddar cheese shreds, diced jalapeños, and vegan bacon bits, if using. Stir the ingredients together until well combined.
- Fill the wonton cups. Once the wontons have baked, evenly spoon the cream cheese mixture into each cup. Sprinkle each jalapeño popper bite with additional cheddar cheese and bake for another 8 minutes.
- Serve. Vegan jalapeño popper wonton cups are best served while warm and creamy with additional vegan bacon, sour cream, and chives. Enjoy!
These bite-sized party snacks are the ultimate appetizer for football season, tailgating, movie nights in, holidays, potlucks, late night snacking and more. Basically they’ll be a hit at any occasion that calls for delicious finger foods!
Serve them alongside a few other crowd-pleasing appetizers like this Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip or these Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings. If you need more inspiration, check out our Top Vegan Super Bowl recipes!
Most large-chain grocery stores now carry vegan-friendly wonton wrappers. Check the refrigerated section, near the tofu or other health foods. Some stores also carry wonton wrappers in the freezer section, near the pastry dough. The brand we use, Twin Dragon, should be available for purchase at Walmart and other mainstream grocery stores.
This appetizer is best served warm fresh from the oven. If you were to prepare them in advance, the wonton cups won’t be nearly as crispy and the filling won’t be as creamy. If desired, you can prepare the filling ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to fill the wonton cups.
Most wonton wrappers are made with wheat, so this delicious appetizer is likely unsuitable for gluten-free diets. If you are able to find gluten-free and vegan wonton wrappers, then this recipe will be gluten-free friendly! Otherwise, check out our gluten-free recipes! You’re guaranteed to find a new crowd favorite there.
While these jalapeño popper wonton cups are best served fresh, they will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. To reheat, place any leftovers in the air fryer or toaster oven and heat through until warm. They won’t be as crispy as they are straight from the oven, but they will still taste delicious!
- Soften the cream cheese warm to room temperature. This will help make it easy to mix with the other filling ingredients.
- Wear gloves when dicing the jalapeños. These hot peppers contain a compound known as capsaicin, which is responsible for it’s spicy flavor. When chopping, the capsaicin can get on your skin and can cause a burning, irritating sensation (especially if you touch your face!). To avoid this, wear gloves!
- Tent the muffin tin if browning too quickly. Depending on your oven and wonton wrappers, they may begin to brown too quickly, particularly during the second bake. If you find this to be the case, lightly tent the pan with a piece of aluminum foil to slow the browning process and prevent burning.