This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip is the ultimate crowd-pleasing dip! It’s thick and creamy, spicy, and made with just 9 simple plant-based ingredients. Serve warm with your favorite dippers and additional appetizers for an unforgettable party spread.
There is nothing we love more than a good vegan dip. They’re perfect for sharing, easy to make with pantry staples, and easy to share with a crowd. If you love hot dips like this buffalo “chicken” dip, you’ll also love our Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip, Creamy Baked Onion Dip, and our Vegan Nacho Cheese. Now let’s get cookin’!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Oil: You’ll need a small amount of neutral oil to cook the vegan chicken and garlic until crispy and fragrant. For best flavor, avoid oils such as unrefined coconut oil that have a strong flavor, as they will leave an aftertaste in the dip.
- Vegan chicken: We recommend a store-bought vegan chicken substitute like Tofurky lightly seasoned chick’n or Gardein. Make sure to purchase a vegan chicken that is not breaded. Any leftover vegan chicken can be used to make our Chicken Tinola or Vegan Chicken Pesto Pizza. If you prefer, you can also opt for Butler’s Soy Curls. If using soy curls, use 8 ounces (weight after rehydrating).
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves are highly recommended over powdered. It has a stronger flavor that really elevates this buffalo chicken dip.
- Vegan cream cheese: Our go-to is the brand Kite Hill, but there are several vegan brands of cream cheese available. Don’t be afraid to try a few before you find your favorite!
- Silken tofu: Silken tofu has the highest water content and is very soft, almost like a custard consistency. This softness makes the dip the perfect creamy consistency while adding additional protein! Substituting firmer tofu is not recommended.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds cheesiness without the need for dairy products. Be sure to use nutritional yeast, not brewer’s yeast. These are often confused but are very different and cannot be used interchangeably.
- Lemon: A small squeeze of lemon juice adds a tangy brightness to an otherwise rich and creamy dip. Fresh lemon juice is highly recommended over pre-bottled.
- Buffalo sauce: Either Primal Kitchen Buffalo Sauce or Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce will work and are naturally dairy-free and vegan-friendly. We’ve used both to make our Grilled Buffalo Corn on the Cob and our Buffalo Tofu Sandwich.
- Vegan cheddar cheese: Use your favorite store-bought shredded vegan cheddar cheese. We like the brands Follow Your Heart and Violife.
How to Make Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Cook the vegan chicken. In a large pan over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil. Once hot, add in the vegan chicken strips and cook for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the garlic and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes, or until cooked through and fragrant.
- Cube the chicken. Transfer the chicken strips to a cutting board and chop them into small bite-sized pieces. Alternatively, you can use kitchen shears and cut the chicken directly in the pan.
- Make the buffalo sauce. Blend the cream cheese, tofu, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, buffalo sauce, salt, and black pepper until very smooth in a high-powered blender. Add additional buffalo sauce, salt, or pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Pour the blended buffalo sauce into a prepared baking dish, then add in the vegan chicken. Stir to combine.
- Bake. Top with vegan cheddar cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish and serve. Allow the vegan buffalo chicken dip to cool for about 10 minutes, then sprinkle with chopped green onion. Serve with your favorite dippers and enjoy while hot!
We love serving simple dippers like carrot sticks, celery sticks, tortilla chips, and even potato wedges.
If you’re serving this buffalo chicken dip for a party, game day, or an easy appetizer, you may also enjoy serving it alongside homemade guacamole, vegan mac and cheese, or lentil hummus. Or, check out our 30 Favorite Vegan Game Day Recipes.
Leftover vegan buffalo chicken dip will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days. We would not recommend freezing it – doing so would likely cause the vegan cream cheese and tofu to separate and make the dip grainy once thawed.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave (quickest) or oven (slowest, but great for large batches). If using the oven method, cover with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350°F, or until warmed through.
Double-check that your liquid ingredients are measured correctly! If you use too much liquid, the dip will be runny and difficult to thicken. Once your dip is in the oven, baking it for additional time will help thicken it up. Bake until your desired consistency is reached. If it is browning too quickly on the top, feel free to lightly tent the dip with aluminum foil to keep it from getting too crispy.
It depends on the brand of vegan chicken you use. Many store-bought brands are made with vital wheat gluten, which is not gluten-free. If you need to make this vegan buffalo chicken dip gluten-free, opt for Butler’s Soy Curls.
More Vegan Dip Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Vegan 7 Layer Dip
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip
- Vegan Street Corn Dip
- Vegan Black Bean Dip
- Vegan Fondue