This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Vegan 7-Layer Dip is the best cold vegan dip to serve on game days, family get-togethers, summer pool parties, even taco Tuesday. Enjoy this healthier layered fiesta dip with your favorite tortilla chips and additional party appetizers.
Ingredients You’ll Need
From bottom to top, here are the 7 layers you’ll need to make this vegan 7-layer dip:
- Refried beans: We highly recommend using our homemade vegan refried beans recipe. It requires just 5 ingredients and is so delicious you’ll want to say goodbye to canned refried beans forever. In a pinch, you can use a can of refried beans. Just make sure to purchase vegetarian refried beans for a veggie bean dip. Many are made with lard and are not vegan-friendly.
- Guacamole: Use either homemade guacamole or store-bought. From our experience, fresh homemade guacamole is always best!
- Sour cream: There are a few different brands of vegan sour cream in stores today so feel free to use your favorite. We recommend the brands Follow Your Heart, Tofutti, or Forager.
- Salsa: We recommend using blended salsa for this recipe instead of something chunky like pico de gallo. If you want to make your own, we have a restaurant-style salsa that works well and is easy to make with canned tomatoes. Depending on how large your dish is, you may want to double the recipe.
- Vegan taco meat: Feel free to use any vegan taco meat filling of your choice. We like to use Jasmine’s Mom’s Famous “beef” taco meat recipe from our Planting Our Root ebook, but our Tofu Taco Meat, Lentil Taco Meat, and Walnut Taco Meat all work well too! You could even use store-bought vegan ground beef from brands like Beyond Meat, Lightlife, or Gardein.
- Vegan cheese shreds: We recommend cheddar-style cheese shreds. If you have a Kroger near you, the Simple Truth brand is one of our favorites, but we also have used Violife and Follow Your Heart. You could also opt for homemade cheese instead, like our Vegan Nacho Cheese, or even a generous sprinkle of Homemade Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
- Fresh produce: For the final layer, sprinkle on shredded romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, onions, and sliced olives. You could also add some sliced jalapenos for a spicy kick.
How to Make Vegan 7-Layer Dip
- Layer in the refried beans. Use a spatula to help spread it into an even layer in the bottom of your dish.
- Add the guacamole, sour cream, salsa, vegan taco meat, and vegan cheese. If needed, continue to use your spatula to help you spread each layer evenly. Use a light hand, or else the layers will start to blend into each other. It will still taste good, but won’t be very pretty!
- Finish with fresh produce. Top the final layer of vegan cheese with a good sprinkle of lettuce, diced tomatoes, onions, and sliced olives, if desired.
- Chill for 1 hour. Vegan 7–Layer dip is traditionally served cold. Cover your dip using plastic wrap or reusable wax wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to chill and set the layers.
- Serve. Once ready, serve your dip with your desired dippers and enjoy!
You can’t go wrong serving Vegan 7-Layer Dip with our homemade oil-free tortilla chips or your favorite store-bought tortilla chips.
If you are hosting, make the ultimate party spread and set out some of our other favorite vegan appetizers like Esquites-Inspired Pasta Salad, Baked Mushroom & Potato Taquitos, Vegan Mexican-Inspired Pinwheels.
Storage and Make Ahead Options
To store leftover 7-Layer Dip, simply cover tightly with plastic or reusable wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The guacamole may oxidize and brown, but it will still be safe to eat.
If you’d like to make this in advance, we’d recommend layering it into your serving dish no more than 24 hours in advance. Wait to top with the fresh produce until about 1 hour before serving.
You can also prep this veggie bean dip and store all of the individual layers separately up to 2 days ahead of time, then layer and chill just before serving.
Tips for Success
- Use a glass serving dish. This vegan 7-layer dip is as delicious as it is pretty. Serve in a dish with clear sides so your guests can see all those impressive layers.
- Warm up the refried beans. Cold beans are slightly difficult to spread smooth in the bottom of the glass dish. To make this easy, we recommend warming them up slightly so they are creamier and easy to spread.
- Adjust measurements to suit your serving dish. This 7-Layer dip serves about 12 and was made to fit inside a 9×7-inch serving dish that is 3 inches tall. Depending on the dish you use, you may need to adjust the ingredient measurements to fit inside your dish.
This dip is meant to be served cold because of the guacamole, sour cream, and salsa layers.
No, 7-layer dip will not freeze well. The sour cream layer will separate and become grainy after thawing. Not worth it!
Unfortunately, no. This dip is made with several fresh ingredients and would be unsafe to consume if left out overnight. If this happens, it is best to discard the dip and start fresh.
Yes! This vegan dip is naturally gluten-free. If you use store-bought ingredients, be careful to choose gluten-free, vegan taco meat.
More Vegan Dip Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Vegan French Onion Dip
- Creamy Baked Onion Dip (Vegan + 9-Ingredients)
- Vegan French Onion Dip
- Easy Vegan Black Bean Dip (Oil-free + 7-Ingredients)
- Creamy Caramelized Onion Dip
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Vegan Street Corn Dip
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!