This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Today we are keeping it simple and showing you how to cook up refried beans at home. They’re easy and take less than 10 minutes to make. Plus, they require just 5 simple ingredients. After trying these, chances are you’ll say goodbye to canned refried beans forever.
An ingredient that we always have in our pantry is refried beans. We love using it for quick and easy meals, such as buddha bowls, burritos, nachos and even in homemade quesadillas. It seems like the options are endless and it is the perfect way to pack flavor into a meal when we don’t know have much to cook up.
We thought that it was finally time that we made our own refried beans for the blog, especially because they are so easy to make. Let’s dive in!
To make this recipe, all that you need is pinto beans, olive oil, garlic, onion powder (or fresh onions), and lime juice. We added chipotle chili powder to ours as well because we had it on hand, but it is totally optional!
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make these perfect refried beans!
In a medium skillet over medium heat, add in the olive oil. Once warmed, add in the minced garlic and sauté until softened, about 2 t0 3 minutes.
Add in the pinto beans, water, lime juice, onion powder, and chipotle chili powder.
Use 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of lime, as desired to taste.
Using a fork or a potato masher, mash the mixture together until it reaches your desired consistency.
Add more water if needed. We did not need any more than the 2 tablespoons called for in the recipe but we know that some people like runnier refried beans so just add more based on your judgement. Vegetable broth also works well in place of the water and will bring additional flavor to the dish.
Taste the refried beans add salt and additional seasonings as desired.
A few notes:
- The amount of salt that you will need to add will depend on whether or not your beans are salted. We suggest tasting the refried beans before salting it to be sure.
- If you would like for these beans to be creamier, add in an additional tablespoon or two of olive oil in step 1.
- Fresh onions work in this recipe as well! Instead of 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, use 1/2 cup finely minced onions and sauté them with the garlic in step 1 until translucent.
- Vegetable broth also works well in place of the water and will bring additional flavor to the dish.
If you’re looking for more dishes to serve alongside these refried beans, we’ve got you covered!
- Vegan Huevos Rancheros
- The Best Restaurant-Style Salsa
- The Best Vegan Chipotle Cheddar Cheese
- Classic Vegan Nachos w/ Homemade Queso
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional’s advice. This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!