Learn how to make perfect vegan vodka sauce with just 10 simple ingredients and 30 minutes of your time! Serve it over your favorite penne pasta and you’ll have yourself a vegan penne alla vodka in no time.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight* (see notes)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil* (see notes for oil-free)
- 1 shallot, finely minced (or sub 1/3 cup onions)
- 10 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vodka
- Optional: 2 tablespoons tomato paste (this helps deepen the flavor)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- Optional: 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan cheese* (see notes; store-bought or homemade works)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper, as desired
- 1 pound gluten-free penne pasta (or any pasta of your choice)
- Finely chopped parsley or basil, for garnish
- Vegan parmesan cheese, to top
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In the meantime, drain the cashews and transfer them to a high speed blender along with 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth and half of the 28 oz. can of tomatoes* (see notes). Blend on high until smooth and set aside.
- In a separate large pan over medium heat, add in the olive oil. Once warmed, add the shallot and sauté for 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes, and continue to cook until the shallots are translucent and the garlic is fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
- Next, add in the vodka, the remaining crushed tomatoes, the blended cashew mixture, tomato paste, basil and oregano. Bing the mixture to a low boil and then lower it to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens, stirring often.
- When the pot of water is boiling, cook the penne pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Once the sauce has cooked down, mix in the vegan parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the sauce over your favorite penne pasta and top with additional herbs and/or vegan parmesan cheese.
- If you don’t have time to soak the cashews overnight, you can do a quick soak in hot water. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Once it is boiling, remove the pot from heat and add in the cashews. Soak for 20 minutes or until softened and drain.
- We only added 1/2 of the can of tomatoes to the blender as we wanted the sauce to still have small chunks. If you would like for the sauce to be completely smooth, add in all of the tomatoes.
- If you would like to skip the oil in this recipe, you can use vegetable broth or water. You will need to add 2 tablespoons at a time and to add more as needed, 2 tablespoons at a time, to prevent burning.
- The vegan parmesan cheese is optional but recommended as it adds great flavor! Just be sure to add it before adding salt so that you can add salt to taste.
- The nutrition facts are only for the sauce and do not take into account the additional ingredients.
- Category: Entree, Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Italian
Keywords: Entree, Pasta, Penne, Vodka, Vegan, Italian