Learn how to make this delicious vegan pasta primavera in about 30 minutes. This dish has loads of fresh veggies, a splash of fresh cashew cream, and is perfect to enjoy any night of the week.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 3 tablespooons nutritional yeast
- 8 oz. dried spaghetti (or pasta of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 medium shallot, minced
- 4 garlic cloved, finely minced
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan parmesan cheese (we like Follow your Heart)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Soak the raw cashews. You can either do this overnight or in boiling hot water for about 10 minutes or until soft. Drain the cashews and transfer them to a high-speed blender along with the filtered water and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot according to the package directions. Once the pasta finishes cooking, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and drain the rest. Toss the pasta with a tablespoon of olive oil to prevent sticking and set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add in a tablespoon of vegan butter. Once melted, add in the shallots and sauté for 2 minutes, until it begins to soften. Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes more or until fragrant.
- Add in the remaining tablespoon of vegan butter. Once it has melted through, add in the broccoli and asparagus and cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until both are nice and bright green.
- Add in the frozen peas and tomatoes, along with the cashew cream mixture in the blender, and mix everything until uniform. Cook for about 1 minute so that the cream heats through and starts to thicken.
- Add in the cooked pasta, vegan parmesan, basil, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water. Mix until everything is uniform. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. If the pasta seems too dry, add in 2-4 tablespoons more of the starchy pasta water.
- Serve the pasta warm with an additional sprinkle of parmesan and fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Feel free to change up the vegetables and use any of your choice. Both zucchini and carrots work great in this! Just be sure to add any hard/thick vegetables like carrots in with the first vegetables cooking (when I cooked the asparagus and broccoli) and then softer vegetables after like the peas and tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pasta, Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: pasta, primavera, lunch, dinner, entree, vegan, asparagus, peas, broccoli