Creamy Alfredo pasta made with cashews along with pan seared mushroom scallops and fresh seasonal vegetables make for the perfect holiday meal
- ½ cup raw cashew nuts, soaked overnight*
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and halved
- 1 small head of garlic, peeled (about 6–8 cloves)
- 4 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4–1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 4 king oyster mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 bunch asparagus (about 1/2 lb.), trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- ~1/4-1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 16 oz. gluten-free fettuccine or pasta of choice
- Cook pasta according to the packaging directions.
- For the alfredo: Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Cut the top of the garlic head off and remove as much of the outer skin as you can (no need be too meticulous here) and wrap in aluminum foil. Place the onions cut side down and the wrapped garlic on the baking sheet, and broil on high until the onions are browned, about 15 minutes. The garlic cloves should feel soft and be easily pressed out of the peels.
- In the meantime, steam your potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Once steamed, mash and measure out 1 cup, reserving any leftovers for another use. Place into a high-speed blender.
- Once the onions and garlic are done, remove from the oven and cool a bit until easy to handle. Press out/peel out the garlic cloves and place them in the blender along with the onions.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients for the alfredo to the blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- For the scallops: In a small saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. With a damp paper towel, clean mushrooms of any dirt. Cut mushroom stems into 1-inch thick medallions, or ‘scallops.” Place them into a medium bowl and pour over the hot water. Cover with a clean paper towel, and soak for 10 minutes then drain.
- Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add the vegan butter. Once the butter is melted, throw in the mushrooms and soy sauce. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, being sure to flip the mushrooms for even browning on both sides. Set aside in a bowl and return the pan back to the stove.
- For the asparagus: Add about 1/4 cup of vegetable broth or water into the pan. Once the broth is heated, add in the asparagus and sauté until it begins to brown and is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Be sure to add more vegetable broth as needed to prevent burning.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and mix until evenly coated. Add the asparagus and scallops, and mix until uniform.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe was adapted from a previous recipe on our blog: The Best Creamy Basil Alfredo Sauce.
- If you would like to speed up the soaking time of the cashews, soak your cashews in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes