This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Vegan Sausage Pasta is made with vegan Italian sausage, tender broccoli rabe, and classic Italian seasonings that highlight the flavors in the dish. All you need is 8 ingredients to recreate this pasta dish at home!
Growing up in New Jersey, my family enjoyed broccoli rabe and sausage pasta regularly. After I went vegan, my parents adapted the recipe a bit and this vegan sausage pasta was born. We enjoyed this almost weekly when I was living back at home and it always makes me so happy when I make it now on the west coast with Jasmine. It’s one of those easy vegan recipes that will always be classic comfort food.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Broccoli rabe: Also known as rapini, broccoli rabe is a leafy green vegetable that has long, thin stems with small broccoli-like florets. It tastes similar to other cruciferous vegetables and is commonly found in Italian cuisine. It’s typically found in the produce section of the grocery store and is most abundant between fall and spring.
- Pasta: Traditionally, broccoli rabe and vegan sausage pasta is made using orecchiette pasta, but any pasta size or shape will work. We went with rigatoni, but don’t be afraid to use whatever pasta you have on hand. You can even use our Authentic Homemade Vegan Pasta if you want to experience the deliciousness of fresh pasta.
- Plant-based sausage: We highly recommend using Beyond Meat Hot Italian Sausage. It added so much flavor to the vegan spicy sausage pasta. If you don’t have access to Beyond Sausage, you can swap it for another Italian-style sausage or vegan sausage crumbles from brands like Gardein or Field Roast. A homemade vegan sausage recipe would probably also be great if you have it!
- Aromatics: We kept this vegan pasta recipe simple with garlic cloves, thinly sliced shallot, sun-dried tomatoes, and red pepper flakes. It created the perfect flavor base to the pasta – so much so we found the end result didn’t need any additional sauce.
- Vegan parmesan: While optional, we love sprinkling the final dish with a heavy sprinkle of either homemade or store-bought vegan parmesan cheese. If you have raw cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and pepper on hand, give our Homemade Vegan Parmesan Cheese Recipe a try while you’re at it!
How to Make Vegan Sausage Pasta
- Blanch the broccoli rabe. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then cook the broccoli rabe in the boiling water for about 1 minute. Drain the broccoli rabe, then immediately transfer it to an ice bath to stop cooking. After 1 minute, remove the broccoli rabe from the ice bath and transfer to a cutting board. Chop into bite-sized pieces, then set aside.
- Cook the pasta. Bring another pot of water to a boil, then add the pasta. Cook according to package instructions, or until al dente, then drain without rinsing.
- Brown the vegan sausage. Using a hot, large skillet or pan, add in the sliced sausages and cook until the edges are golden brown and caramelized. Once ready, remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the aromatics. In the same pan, cook the garlic cloves and shallots in the leftover oil from the vegan sausage until fragrant and translucent. Add in the red pepper flakes and cook for about 1 more minute, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Add the remaining pasta ingredients. Add in the blanched broccoli rabe, sun-dried tomatoes, vegan sausage, and cooked pasta. Mix well to combine, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Enjoy this vegan sausage pasta with a generous sprinkle of Homemade Vegan Parmesan Cheese or nutritional yeast, a drizzle of olive oil, and chopped parsley.
This hearty meal makes for a delicious quick dinner, meal prep, or elevated main dish for date night. It’s filling enough to be served on it’s own, but like most of our Vegan Pasta Recipes, pairs well with several vegan side dishes and a glass of your favorite white wine.
Give it a try with our Vegan Garlic Bread or a slice of our No Knead Bread with a slather of vegan butter. Or, if you’re looking for a lighter side, serve with our Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad, Vegan Cobb Salad, or this Grilled Romaine Lettuce.
Leftover pasta will keep best in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Before storing allow the pasta to cool completely before covering and refrigerating. This will help prevent condensation from building inside of the container and warming up the interior of the fridge.
Absolutely! Use your favorite gluten-free pasta and double-check that the vegan sausage you are using is gluten-free friendly. The Beyond Sausage we used is naturally gluten-free, but not all varieties are, so always double-check.
We made this Italian dish without traditional sauces because we find it helps enhance the flavors in the pasta itself. Plus, the vegan Beyond Meat sausage adds so much flavor. With that being said, you’re more than welcome to add your favorite pasta sauce. If you’re looking for a few vegan options, we’d recommend our Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce, Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce, or our Alfredo Sauce made with raw cashews and cajun flavors.
If you don’t have broccoli rabe on hand or can’t find it in grocery stores near you, replace it with other veggies fresh kale, regular broccoli florets, or baby spinach.
Yes, we recommend removing all of the light-colored leaves as well as the bottom 1-inch of the stems. If you are a visual learner, check out this step-by-step tutorial on How to Clean Broccoli Rabe.
More Recipes Using Vegan Sausage You May Enjoy:
- Easy Vegan Stuffing with Sausage – a twist on classic stuffing made with vegan sausage and buttermilk biscuits.
- Savory Oatmeal with Veggies & Sausage – if you’ve never had savory oatmeal, you’ll absolutely love this one loaded with plant-based ingredients.
- The Best Vegan Lasagna – a lasagna just as meat-y and delicious as the traditional Italian pasta bake.
- Vegan Arroz Valenciana – a hearty, sticky filipino rice dish similar to paella.
- Vegan Sheet Pan Pasta – a fool proof pasta dish ready in less than 45 minutes.
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional’s advice. This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!