Just when you thought there could be nothing better than homemade bagels, this happened…Everything Pretzel Bagels. They are easy, oil-free and delicious!
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 ½ tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill Fine Turbinado Sugar
- 1 ¼ cups warm water (you may need ¼ cup more)
- 3 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached Artisan Bread Flour + more for kneading
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
For the bagel boil:
- 8 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 3 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Fine Turbinado Sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Vegan carrot lox
- Kite Hill Chive Cream Cheese (our fave!)
- Thinly sliced red onions
- Fresh dill
- Pour the sugar and yeast into 1/2 cup warm water, but do not stir. Let it sit for five minutes to activate, then stir until dissolved.
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle, then add in the yeast and sugar mixture along with the remaining 1 cup of warm water. Mix well until a smooth dough forms. If it is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time as needed. If it is too wet, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time as needed!
- Flour a countertop or large cutting board, and knead the dough for 10 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.
- Wet the inside of a clean large non-metal bowl with water, place the dough inside, and turn to coat until the outside is moist. Cover with a damp dish towel and set it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size. Once risen, punch down the dough and set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Cover a baking sheet with silicon baking mat or parchment paper and set aside. Remove the dough from the bowl, and divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball– an example is on this page). Repeat with all of the dough.
- Coat your finger in flour, then press into the center of ball to form a ring. Stretch the dough balls into a rings about ⅓ the diameter of the bagel, then place onto the baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF, and combine all of the ‘bagel boil’ ingredients together in a large pot. Bring the water to a boil, and get your seasonings and almond milk ready as you will need that next.
- Once the water has boiled, reduce the heat to medium, and use a slotted spoon to lower as many bagels that fit comfortably into the water (we did 3). Once they to float to the top (a couple seconds), boil for 2 minutes, flip, then boil for another 2 minutes.
- Once all the bagels have boiled, transfer them to your lined baking sheet. Brush the dough with almond milk, and sprinkle with your seasoning.
- Bake the bagels 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Store in an air tight container for 4-5 days.
Adapted from Sophisticated Gourmet.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 40 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Baked Goods
- Cuisine: Vegan