This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Carrot Cake Bars have all the classic flavors of your favorite carrot cake recipe yet are made with healthy, wholesome ingredients. Drizzle with our homemade cream cheese frosting for a sweet final touch, then enjoy for breakfast or dessert all Spring long.
Whenever Spring and the Easter holiday rolls around, we can’t help but indulge in our fair share of carrot cake recipes. From these gluten-free and vegan carrot cake bars, these raw carrot cake bites, these carrot cake cookie sandwiches, and these fluffy vegan carrot cake pancakes, we’ve got your carrot cake lovers covered!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
- Oats – For the best consistency and texture, we recommend using old-fashioned rolled oats. If you are gluten-free, make sure to use rolled oats with a gluten-free certification on the bag. This will ensure cross contamination did not occur.
- Oat flour – Oat flour is made by grinding oats into a powder. We find that we can never get it as fine at home as opposed to buying it at the store, so we prefer to use this brand.
- Walnuts – We don’t know about you, but we love chopped walnuts in our traditional carrot cake so naturally, we added some to these healthy bars! Feel free to omit the walnuts if you’re not a fan, or swap them for another nut, such as chopped pecans.
- Chia egg – This egg substitute is made by combining 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water until gelatinous. If you’ve ever made a flax egg, the process is very similar!
- Medjool dates – In the spirit of keeping these bars as healthy as possible, we chose to sweeten them with pitted and packed Medjool dates. They make the perfect sweet, chewy carrot cake bars and add a similar flavor to brown sugar.
- Applesauce – Another source of natural sweetness in this healthier version. For best results, use an unsweetened applesauce made without any added sugars.
- Carrots – These wouldn’t be a carrot cake bars recipe without fresh carrots! In addition to distinguishing these bars from any other dessert bar, the carrots add moisture and the classic flavor we know and love.
- 8×6″ baking dish
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Food processor
- Spatula or wet spoon
- Cutting board and sharp knife
How to Make Carrot Cake Bars
- Prepare the chia egg. In a small bowl or cup, mix the chia seeds and water together. Set aside to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients. In a separate, large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, peanut flour, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Make the date puree. Into a large cup food processor, add the dates, applesauce, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar. Process until well combined.
- Add in remaining ingredients. Into the same food processor bowl, add the oat and flour mixture as well as the chia egg. Process again until uniform.
- Mix in the shredded carrots and raisins. Transfer the moist carrot cake dough back into the original bowl the dry ingredients were mixed in. Add the shredded carrots and raisins and mix everything together until a cookie dough-like consistency forms. We find this easiest to do with wet, clean hands.
- Press into baking pan. Once well combined, press the carrot cake bar mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake. Place the carrot cake bars in the preheated oven and bake for 22-24 minutes. Remove and cool the carrot cake bars completely at room temperature.
- Prepare the simple cream cheese frosting. Sift the powdered sugar into a medium-sized bowl, then add in the vegan cream cheese, lemon juice, and unsweetened almond milk.
- Drizzle the bars. Once the carrot bars have cooled, cut them into small or large bars, then drizzle the top of the bars with cream cheese frosting, as desired. This is easiest to do using a spoon or a piping bag.
- Serve. Enjoy this carrot dessert at room temperature or chilled.
These delicious carrot cake bars make for the perfect breakfast, on-the-go snack, or even a healthy dessert! Enjoy with a tall glass of homemade almond milk and a side of your favorite fresh fruit, or as desired.
If you enjoy these carrot cake bars, you may love these other spring-inspired treats: Golden Milk Cinnamon Rolls, Gluten-Free Lemon Poppyseed Breakfast Cookies, or these Fluffy Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes.
When stored in an airtight container, these easy carrot cake bars will keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. The bars can also be frozen.
If freezing, do so without the cream cheese frosting. Instead, follow the recipe through step 7 and cool the bars completely. Once room temperature, tightly wrap the bars in plastic wrap or another reusable wrap and place into a freezer bag. This will prevent freezer burn and preserve the amazing flavor. When frozen, these bars will keep for up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen carrot cake bars in the refrigerator or at room temperature until softened, then top with cream cheese mixture before eating.
More Homemade Dessert Bars You May Enjoy:
- Creamy Lemon Rosemary Bars – The best vegan lemon bars filled with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Chocolate Chip Protein Cookie Bars – These dessert bars are easy, vegan, and oil-free.
- Easy Peanut Butter Squares – A quick and delicious dessert recipe that’s ready in just 30 minutes!
- Vegan Cheesecake Brownies – Decadent brownies with a layer of cheesecake swirled in. It’s as delicious as it sounds.
- Classic Vegan Brownies – One of our most popular recipes for a reason! No one can resist these fudgy bars.
If you make this recipe, let us know what you think in the comments below! + If you post any photos on Instagram, make sure you tag us @sweetsimplevegan and @consciouschris so that we don’t miss it, we love seeing your photos!Print
If you love this recipe, you will also love our Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches! You can click on the image below to check it out 🙂
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. However, this page may contain affiliate links, thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!