A vegan take on Huevos Rancheros that’s full of flavor and out-of-this-world delicious. Loaded with freshly made refried beans, vegan cheese, eggy tofu scramble, and a zesty ranchero sauce on top of a crispy tostada, this huevos rancheros recipe is sure to be a hit with anyone vegan or otherwise.
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Cooking oil of choice
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups tofu scramble (1 recipe)
- 1/4 cup vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
- Cilantro, roughly chopped (for garnish)
- Avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.. Place the whole tomatoes the baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove tomatoes from the oven and allow to cool.
- Add the tomatoes along with all of the remaining ingredients to a food processor and process for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan on medium-low heat and allow to simmer the sauce for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium skillet, add in a thin layer of cooking oil (canola or vegetable preferred) and bring to medium-high heat.
- Add a single tortilla at a time to the pan allowing it to fry on each side for 30-45 seconds. Transfer the tortilla to a paper towel-lined plate to cool and continue until you have cooked all of the tortillas.
- To prepare the huevos rancheros, spread a generous layer of refried beans on each tortilla, then top it with tofu scramble, ranchero sauce, vegan cheese, cilantro, and avocado. Enjoy!
- If you’d like to avoid frying the tortillas, you can heat in microwave, oven, or on an open flame.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Vegan Mexican
Keywords: vegan, mexican, huevos, rancheros, cinco de mayo