This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Vegan Huevos Rancheros are bursting with flavor and are just as delicious as the classic Mexican dish. Pan fried tostadas layered with vegan refried beans, vegan cheese, tofu scramble, and a zesty, homemade rancheros sauce that’s out of this world. Have this brunch favorite ready to serve in 45 minutes or less!
As a child, huevos rancheros were always my go-to at Mexican restaurants. There was something about the dish that was so comforting. Even since going vegan, if vegan huevos rancheros are on the menu, you know I am going to order it.
If you’re a fellow huevos rancheros lover, you’re going to love this veganized version. It’s so easy to make, easy to prep in advance, and so delicious any day of the week.
Table of Contents
Ingredients You’ll Need + Substitutions
For the Ranchero Sauce
- Tomatoes: You’ll need 3 fresh, medium-sized tomatoes for the base of the ranchero sauce. We recommend roma tomatoes, plum tomatoes, or vine-ripened tomatoes for the best balance of sweet and acidic flavor.
- Onion + garlic: We used yellow onion and fresh garlic cloves. If preferred, opt for another type of onion such as red onion or sweet onion.
- Jalapeños: We opt to spice our homemade sauce with fresh jalapeños or serrano peppers, but feel free to use your favorite peppers and adjust to your heat preference.
- Cilantro: Adds freshness to the salsa and makes it taste restaurant quality. Use both the leaves and stems for the best flavor.
- Salt + pepper: Season to taste with simple salt and black pepper. Adjust the measurements to taste. We typically start with about 1/2 teaspoon each.
- Broth: Blend the ranchero sauce with vegetable broth to achieve the right consistency. For less sodium, opt for water.
- Oil: For frying the tortillas. If you prefer to make your vegan huevos rancheros oil-free, toast the corn tortillas in a dry skillet until crispy.
- Corn tortillas: Small taco-sized tortillas are best for homemade tostadas. Corn tortillas are the traditional choice, but flour tortillas will work if corn-free, or preferred.
- Refried beans: We opt for our homemade Vegan Refried Beans because store-bought refried beans aren’t typically vegan friendly. If you’re short on time, look for fat-free refried beans at your local grocery store as they are often made without lard. Or, if preferred, opt for black beans or refried black beans.
- “Egg” scramble: Traditional huevos rancheros are served with a fried egg or poached egg. Chicken eggs of course aren’t vegan but there are tons of alternatives to the real thing. Try our Basic Tofu Scramble or Chickpea Scramble as the vegan “egg” in this huevos rancheros recipe. If you prefer to use something store-bought, try Just Egg or Follow Your Heart Egg. Watch our Ultimate Vegan Egg Taste Test to find the best one for you.
- Vegan cheese: Any vegan cheese of choice will work. Use a store-bought cheese or a homemade cheese such as Vegan Feta Cheese, Stretchy Vegan Mozzarella or our extra popular Vegan Nacho Cheese sauce.
- Cilantro: For an optional garnish, top your huevos rancheros with fresh cilantro. If you don’t enjoy the flavor of cilantro, replace with another fresh herb of choice or omit entirely.
- Avocado: Fresh sliced avocado or Homemade Guacamole are both delicious!
How to Make Vegan Huevos Rancheros
- Begin making the ranchero sauce. Heat a cast iron skillet or comal over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, onion, peppers and garlic. Cook the veggies until charred, rotating often. Once cooked, remove the stem from the pepper and deseed, if desired.
- Process the charred veggies. Transfer the charred ranchero sauce veggies to a food processor or blender along with the cilantro, salt, pepper, and water or broth. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Simmer the ranchero salsa. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the salsa and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and cook the ranchero sauce until slightly reduced, about 3-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Fry the tortillas. Heat 1/4 cup of cooking oil over medium-low heat. Once warm, add in a single tortilla and fry on each side for 30-45 seconds, or until lightly crispy. Transfer each fried tostada to a paper towel-lined plate, then continue until all of the tortillas are cooked.
- Assemble. Once the tostadas are fried, begin to assemble your vegan huevos rancheros. Slather each fried tortilla with refried beans, tofu scramble, homemade ranchero salsa, avocado, cilantro and vegan cheese of choice. Enjoy!
This classic Mexican breakfast or brunch recipe is commonly served with toppings such as vegan cheese, avocado, fresh cilantro, and additional fresh salsa. We also love pairing huevos rancheros with simple side dishes to make it a complete vegan meal.
Check out a few of our favorite sides from the blog that pair perfectly with vegan huevos rancheros:
Appetizers and Sides
Appetizers and Sides
Appetizers and Sides
Huevos rancheros and chilaquiles are not the same dish. Huevos rancheros are traditionally made with fried or poached eggs and served on a crispy tortilla with ranchero sauce, beans, cheese, and fresh cilantro. Chilaquiles on the other hand are made with tortilla chips that are baked in a flavorful red or green salsa, then topped with cheese, sour cream, guacamole and more. If you’re interested in a vegan chilaquiles recipe, try our Vegan Chilaquiles Rojos!
Yes. The huevos rancheros sauce, vegan refried beans recipe, tofu scramble, and corn tortillas are all naturally gluten-free without any substitutions. If you’re serving gluten-free guests, make sure to serve corn tortillas – flour tortillas are not gluten-free.
If you love the sulfur-like taste of chicken eggs, sprinkle your tofu scramble with black salt, aka kala namak for that classic “eggy” flavor. We typically recommend 1/4 teaspoon – a little goes a long way!
If you have leftover huevos rancheros sauce and ingredients, we recommend storing them in separate containers. Each component will keep for up to 5 days. For example, store the rancheros sauce, beans, tofu scramble, and tortillas separately then reheat and assemble right before enjoying.
To reheat, warm each component separately and fry fresh tortillas right before serving.
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional’s advice. This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!