The perfect hearty recipe for fall and winter dinners. This Instant Pot Black Bean Soup requires simple and healthy ingredients, is easy to make AND is oil- and gluten-free. It will be ready in about 30 minutes!
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 oz.) cans (3 1/2 cups) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 large (1 cup) yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 medium (¾ cup) red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 ribs (1/2 cup) celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes with liquid (see notes)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Green onions, sliced
- Avocado, diced
- Vegan sour cream
- Red bell peppers or tomatoes, diced small
- In a small bowl, add in 1 can (1 3/4 cups) black beans and mash with a potato masher or a fork until uniform. Set aside.
- Set the instant pot to the saute setting and add in 3 tablespoons of the vegetable broth. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and jalapeno, and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. (see notes)
- Stir in the remaining vegetable broth along with the mashed black beans, remaining whole black beans, fire roasted tomatoes, corn, bay leaf, cumin, and chili powder. Mix until well combined and pop the lid on. Set the instant pot to “beans/stew” and cook for 15 minutes.
- Release the pressure and open the instant pot. Discard bay leaf and add in the cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve warm with a dollop of vegan sour cream plus a sprinkle of avocado, cilantro, green onions, and bell peppers. Enjoy!
- If your pressure cooker does not have a saute setting, you can simply just add the onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic with the rest of the ingredients and pressure cook straight from there.
- Stovetop option: Follow steps 1-2, using a stovetop pot instead of an instant pot. Once you have added in all of the ingredients, bring the pot to a boil and then lower to a simmer on medium-low. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once finished, discard the bay leaf and add in the cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve warm with a dollop of vegan sour cream plus a sprinkle of avocado, cilantro, green onions, and bell peppers.
- You can use regular canned tomatoes instead of fire roasted if not available.
- You can make this ahead of time and freeze it in a freezer safe bag for 2-3 months.
- The nutrition facts do not take into consideration the addition of garnishes. It does take into consideration 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free
Keywords: Soup, Instant Pot, Black Bean, Leftovers, Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free