This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A hearty and savory dinner perfect for any night of the week. This creamy dairy-free mushroom stroganoff is easy to make, requires just an instant pot, and 30 minutes of your time to prepare. It’s comforting, rich, savory, and of course, vegan! Are we talking about the perfect meal, or what?
This recipe was adapted from our stovetop one-pot mushroom stroganoff. That recipe has been a hit on our blog, so we thought that we would test it in another application, an instant pot! If you’re a mushroom lover, this stroganoff is an absolute must-try.
What is Mushroom Stroganoff?
Stroganov is a famous Russian dish traditionally made with beef, butter, garlic, and onions, combined with sour cream. You serve it with pilaf rice, noodles, or even mashed potatoes. The dish we know today as stroganoff was named after a famous Russian family by a French chef. Since we are making this dish vegan today, we are swapping beef for mushrooms and using dairy-free butter and vegan sour cream to bring the dish to life.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Vegan Butter or Oil: We enjoy using Earth Balance or Country Crock Plant Butter.
- Onions and Garlic: Simple yet essential aromatic flavor base to start this dish off right.
- Mushrooms: To make a traditional beef stroganoff vegan, we use cremini mushrooms for the hearty and umami focus of this recipe.
- Flour: This will act as a thickener in our mushroom stroganoff. We like to use Bob’s Red Mill organic all-purpose flour.
- Wine: A dry white wine is ideal for this recipe. We like to use a Sauvignon Blanc, but other dry white wine options to consider are Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. If you aren’t sure if the wine you want to use is vegan, you can use the website Barnivore.com to check.
- Herbs: We use fresh herbs to lighten up and brighten up the dish.
- Tamari: A Japanese fermented soy sauce. You can also you soy sauce instead. Tamari or soy sauce will both add saltiness and umami to the recipe.
- Nutritional Yeast: A deactivated form of brewers or bakers yeast often used in cheesy vegan recipes and helps give it that extra oomph.
- Pasta: Stroganoff typically uses egg noodles, so we are using rotini pasta to make it vegan.
- Broth: We use a vegan beef broth to make this recipe, but you can use any vegetable broth.
- Mustard: Its tangy, sharp flavor complements the other ingredients quite nicely.
- Sour Cream: A must-add ingredient for a creamy stroganoff. We like to use either Tofutti or Follow Your Heart.
- Worcestershire: Although this ingredient is optional, we suggest adding it if you have some handy. It will bring more umami flavors into the dish. Be sure it is vegan as the non vegan option contains anchovies.
A few notes before getting started:
- We didn’t include these in our recipe, but carrots and celery are great additions! We suggest adding in 1 large carrot, finely chopped, and 1 rib of celery, finely chopped.
- Not all wines are vegan due to the refining process they go through. To ensure your wine is vegan, check out Barnivore.
- If you don’t want to use vegan sour cream, other options are cashew butter (see this recipe), tahini, or even sunflower butter. Vegan cream cheese would probably be tasty as well!
- We have not tested this with gluten-free pasta and cannot guarantee the results.
- You can use corn starch in place of flour; use only 1 tbsp.
- Check out this website for alcohol-free wine substitutions.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? We’ve got you covered!
- Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli (aka Pasta and Beans)
- Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Pizza Pasta
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Chili
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!