Chocolate + Cherry + Scones — yesss please.
These easy-to-make chocolate cherry scones are ready in under an hour and require just 10-ingredients! These make for the perfect breakfast, afternoon snack alongside some tea or even dessert with a dollop of vegan whipped cream!We’ve had dried cherries sitting in our pantry for the longest time and I couldn’t figure out what to do with them. I wanted to use them up before we moved, but I was so uninspired to come up with a way to use them up! I didn’t want to make a half-assed recipe in order to use them up or to just throw them in my oatmeal, so Chris and I brainstormed.
Cherry ice cream? Cherry granola bars? Cherry compote? The list was going on and on. Until finally, it clicked! I remembered I had made a cranberry orange scone with my brother years ago (and we actually had shared a recipe for that on our blog), and I knew that a chocolate cherry version would be bombbb.And as we predicted, these were amazing. Not to toot my horn or anything, but I think we nailed this one.
Plus we love how easy and approachable this recipe is. For some reason, when I first thought of makingscones, I assumed I would be in the kitchen all damn day but that is not the case at all. This took us about 15 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to bake and left us with a big ol’ batch of chocolate cherry scones that we were able to enjoy during the week!PS: Our friend Frank from Alpen Organics made us some CBD-infused coconut oil to use for this recipe, so we want to send a huge shoutout to him for helping us bring this to life! The CBD-infused oil is completely optional and regular ol’ coconut oil will work just fine. We recommend you use refined coconut oil instead of unrefined so that way you avoid the coconut flavor—unless you dig that! PPS: if you want to check our Alpen Organics, you can use the code “sweetsimplevegan” for 30% off!Print
Easy-to-make chocolate cherry scones that are ready in under an hour and require just 10-ingredients. These make for the perfect breakfast, afternoon snack alongside some tea or even dessert with a dollop of vegan whipped cream!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons solid refined coconut oil*
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips*
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and mix until uniform.
- Add the solid coconut oil to the bowl and using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut in the coconut oil until the mixture begins to form fine crumbs and become sand-like.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the mixture forms a uniform and soft dough. Add additional almond milk (1 tablespoon at a time) if your dough is too dry and crumbly.
- Flour a clean surface or cutting board and turn the dough out onto it. Form it into a large circle, about 8 inches wide and 1/2 an inch thick, and cut into 8 even triangles. Gently separate the scones and then transfer them onto the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the scones from the oven and cool before serving.
- Be sure that the chocolate chips you are using are vegan!
- We used CBD-infused coconut oil from Alpen Organics but it is not necessary for this recipe.
Keywords: scone, breakfast, side, pastry
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored. However, this page does contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!