Learn how to make an easy chia seed jam at home with just 4 simple ingredients and about 20 minutes of your time. It a healthier alternative to store bought jam, a great way to pack more berries into your diet and can be used just as you would regular jam!
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries of your choice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar * (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon Juice
- If you are using fresh berries, roughly chop them before using. Add the berries to a small pot over medium heat along with 3 tablespoons of water. Cook until the berries begin to break down and become syrupy in texture, about 12-14 minutes. Use the back of a spatula or a potato masher to mash the fruit, leaving it as smooth or as lumpy as you like.
- Once the berries have broken down, stir in the coconut sugar and cook the mixture for 2 minutes more.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the chia sees and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Allow the mixture to sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken. The longer it sits, the thicker it will get! Transfer the chia seed jam to an airtight jar or container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- I used a mixture of strawberries and blueberries for this jam, but you can use any mixture of berries of your choice. Blackberries and raspberries would be great in this!
- You can also use a liquid sweetener of your choice in this recipe instead of coconut sugar if you prefer.
- This jam can be frozen if you would like to make a big batch at once. We just suggest placing the jar or container that it is in in the refrigerator to thaw overnight before using.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Spread, Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-free, Spread, Breakfast, chia seed, jam, summer