Take your morning to the next level with this Fall Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole. It’s loaded with seasonal veggies and herbs, easy to make and great for meal prep!
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 6 oz. baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Optional: 1/4 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- Optional: 7 oz. ground vegan sausage (we used light life; use a gluten-free brand if needed)
- 2 handfuls roughly-chopped kale, stems removed
- Green onions, for garnish
Tofu “Egg” Batter
- 1 (14 oz.) package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, as needed*
- 1/3 tablespoon old bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon Kala namak (Indian black salt; for eggy flavor)
- 1 tablespoon herbs, finely chopped (we used 1 teaspoon each finely chopped sage, thyme and rosemary)
- Salt, as needed to taste* (see notes)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9-inch square or round baking dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of water into a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add in the sweet potatoes. Sauté for 10 minutes, adding additional water (2 tablespoons at a time) as needed to prevent burning. Next, add in the mushrooms, bell pepper, onions and garlic. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened. Add in the kale and cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until it is softened and bright green. Transfer the vegetable mixtures to the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly.
- In the same pan, add in the vegan sausage and break it up into small pieces if needed. The vegan sausage should be a crumble consistency. Cook for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add water (2 tablespoons at a time) if needed to present burning.
- Evenly distribute the the vegan sausage on the vegetables in the baking dish and then sprinkle evenly with vegan cheese. Set aside.
- In a high speed blender, add in the extra-firm tofu, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, turmeric, 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, old bay, black pepper optional kala namak until smooth. The batter should be the consistency of a thick batter (similar to a brownie batter) so add additional almond milk as needed. We added 1/2 cup. Refer to the photos in the post and this video. Add in the chopped herbs and pulse them in until well combined.
- Pour the tofu mixture over vegetables in the baking dish and gently mix everything together until well combined. Place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Keep in mind that the inside should be soft/moist! Allow the casserole to cool completely before serving as this will allow it to set. We prefer to refrigerate it overnight for the best consistency.
- Cut the casserole into 9 3×3 inch squares and sprinkle with green onions if desired before serving. Enjoy!
- This recipe can easily be doubled.
- You can cook with oil instead of water in this recipe if desired.
- Feel free to change up the vegetables according to your preference! Carrots and white potatoes will work well in this.
- The vegan cheese and sausage are optional but recommended!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Season with salt to taste. Keep in mind that the old bay seasoning has salt in it.
- The nutrition facts do not take into consideration the addition of vegan sausage, vegan cheese or kala namak.
- Category: Breakfast, Fall
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free Option
Keywords: Breakfast, Fall, Vegan, Gluten-free, Sweet Potato, Casserole, Vegan Egg