The perfect breakfast for Christmas morning? This vegan strata aka a make-ahead breakfast casserole that is easy to make and incredibly tasty!
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water, to sauté with
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 oz. mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 14 oz. vegan sausage (we use Impossible sausage grounds)
- 1 tablespoon German mustard
- 2 cups spinach
- ~2 cups vegan mozzarella shreds
- ~5 cups diced sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- A few dashes of nutmeg
- 24 oz Just Egg or similar liquid egg substitute
- Green onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh parsley, roughly small
- Grease a deep 9″ baking dish and set it aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. Once heated, add the onions, celery, and mushrooms and sauté until the onions are translucent and fragrant, or about 3-4 minutes. Once cooked, add in the vegan sausage and crumble it in with a wooden spoon or fork. Sauté for about 3 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through, being sure to add vegetable broth as needed to prevent burning. Once cooked, remove from heat and add in the mustard and spinach. Mix until uniform and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the egg mixture until smooth. (skip this step if using Just Egg or similar)
- Into the greased baking dish, layer in the sausage mixture, bread cubes, egg mixture, and cheese into the baking dish. Mix the layers together as you go so that they are uniform throughout the dish and continue until all of the ingredients have been used. Cover and set in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 8 hours).
- Remove from the refrigerator and place into the oven at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Cool completely before serving and garnish with fresh parsley and green onions
- You can substitute the egg batter with 24oz of Just Egg or any other liquid egg substitute.
- Prep Time: 8 Hours 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American