This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Vegan Ham Roast is a great main for your holiday tables! It has a great meaty texture thanks to vital wheat gluten and tofu and is roasted with a sweet glaze that ties all the sweet and smoky flavors together. Serve alongside your favorite holiday sides, or cut it into thin deli slices for the ultimate vegan sandwich.
Table of Contents
Our Vegan Holiday Roast and Vegan Vegetable Wellington are two of our most popular recipes during the holiday season and are great options for replacing the Turkey on Thanksgiving. This year, we wanted to provide yet another option to make sure you have the most epic vegan holiday season yet. We already know this Vegan Ham Roast is going to impress at any holiday feast!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
- Tofu: Drained, extra-firm tofu helps provide protein and a firm texture that helps hold the roast together and contributes to the overall meaty texture.
- Broth: Adds moisture and flavor to the roast and helps prevent the roast from drying out. We recommend using a vegan beef broth for the best savory flavor, but store-bought or homemade vegetable broth will work well, too.
- Tomato paste: Provides a rich, umami taste and essential color to the vegan ham recipe.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a subtle cheesy, savory flavor, as well as a boost of B vitamins!
- Dijon mustard: The tangy, bright flavor of Dijon mustard helps balance the salty flavors in the ham and the sweet flavors in the brown sugar glaze.
- Tamari: Adds necessary salty, umami flavor. We prefer the full-bodied flavor of tamari, but soy sauce is a great alternative.
- Liquid smoke: Provides the essential smoky flavor that mimics the flavor of a traditional smoked ham. If you are looking for liquid smoke at your local grocery store, it is often found in the baking aisle or near other condiments, particularly BBQ sauce or other BBQ ingredients.
- Vital wheat gluten: This essential ingredient is rich in protein and is key for giving this roast a meaty, chewy texture. If you’ve made our Vegan Deli Meat or Vegan Chicken Nuggets, you might have some leftovers in your pantry!
- Chickpea flour: Also known as gram flour, this flour is used as a binder and helps add additional protein and structure to the roast.
- Beet powder: Gives this vegan ham the perfect color without compromising the flavor.
For the brown sugar glaze
- Vegan “beef” broth: Used as a liquid base and adds savory flavor.
- Sugar: For the best, deep flavor, we used a combination of brown sugar and maple syrup.
- Dijon mustard: Adds a tangy kick to the glaze and compliments the sweetness in the brown sugar and maple syrup.
- Smoked paprika: Adds color and a mild smoky flavor to help enhance the smokiness in the vegan ham.
- Large steamer pot with a steamer basket
- High-speed blender
- Small and large mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Aluminum Foil
- Baking sheet
- Basting brush
How to Make Vegan Ham
- Prep a large steamer pot. Place a large steamer pot on the stovetop and bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer.
- Blend the tofu mixture. In a high-speed blender, add the tofu, broth, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, mustard, tamari, liquid smoke, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, beet powder, black pepper, and paprika. Blend until completely smooth and set aside.
- Form the seitan dough. In a large bowl, add the vital wheat gluten and chickpea flour. Mix until uniform. Pour the blended tofu mixture into the bowl and mix everything together until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes. Flour a clean work surface with chickpea flour and turn the dough out. Knead for 3-4 minutes, or until the seitan becomes soft and smooth, yet slightly sticky. Make sure it is not dry or the end result will not be ideal!
- Wrap the seitan tightly in foil. Lay a 12-inch piece of aluminum foil on the counter, then place a 10-inch piece of parchment paper over the foil. Place the dough at the bottom of the parchment paper and using your hands, shape it into a long thick log, similar to the shape of a roast. Then, wrap the seitan with parchment paper, leaving the ends open. Next, place the wrapped log towards the bottom of the foil, then loosely wrap the foil around the seitan, leaving a bit of room for the seitan to expand. Twist the ends up like a candy wrapper, sealing the seitan in.
- Steam for 1 hour. Place the vegan ham into the steaming basket and steam for 1 hour.
- Make the ham glaze. While the seitan ham steams, make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, maple syrup, brown sugar, dijon mustard, and paprika. Set aside.
- Bake the ham. Once the seitan has steamed, remove it from the steamer basket and carefully unwrap it, discarding the parchment paper and foil. Place the ham onto a baking sheet, generously brush with the glaze, and roast for 30 minutes, brushing with glaze every 10 minutes.
- Serve. Remove the ham roast from the oven and allow to cool completely for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing. If using as deli meat, allow to cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
The classic, most popular way to enjoy this Vegan Ham Roast is as a show-stopping centerpiece on your holiday tables. It’s the perfect cruelty-free replacement for turkey or real ham on Thanksgiving or Christmas and pairs well with all of your favorite holiday sides, too.
If you’re planning your holiday menu for the upcoming season, make sure to check out these popular side dishes:
Appetizers and Sides
Appetizers and Sides
Appetizers and Sides
In addition to being served as the perfect centerpiece for a special occasion, this vegan ham can also be made year-round and used as a Vegan Ham-Style Deli Meat in ham sandwiches, paninis, wraps, and more.
Leftover vegan ham will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or for 3 months in the freezer.
If freezing, first wrap the roast in a tight layer of plastic wrap, followed by an outer layer of aluminum foil. This will help prevent freezer burn and prolong the flavor and great meaty texture of the roast.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave or in the oven, covered, until warmed through.