This Vegan Ham Roast is a great main for your holiday tables! It has a great meaty texture thanks to vital wheat gluten and tofu and is roasted with a sweet glaze that ties all the sweet and smoky flavors together. Serve alongside your favorite holiday sides, or cut it into thin deli slices for the ultimate vegan sandwich.
- 7 ounces extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup vegan beef broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon – 1 teaspoon beet powder (optional, for color)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) vital wheat gluten
- 1/8 cup (15 g) chickpea flour
- ¼ cup vegan beef broth
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Prep a large steamer pot. Place a large steamer pot on the stovetop and bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer.
- Blend the tofu mixture. In a high-speed blender, add the tofu, broth, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, mustard, tamari, liquid smoke, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, beet powder, black pepper, and paprika. Blend until completely smooth and set aside.
- Form the seitan dough. In a large bowl, add the vital wheat gluten and chickpea flour. Mix until uniform. Pour the blended tofu mixture into the bowl and mix everything together until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes. Flour a clean work surface with chickpea flour and turn the dough out. Knead for 3-4 minutes, or until the seitan becomes soft and smooth, yet slightly sticky. Make sure it is not dry or the end result will not be ideal!
- Wrap the seitan tightly in foil. Lay a 12-inch piece of aluminum foil on the counter, then place a 10-inch piece of parchment paper over the foil. Place the dough at the bottom of the parchment paper and using your hands, shape it into a long thick log, similar to the shape of a roast. Then, wrap the seitan with parchment paper, leaving the ends open. Next, place the wrapped log towards the bottom of the foil, then loosely wrap the foil around the seitan, leaving a bit of room for the seitan to expand. Twist the ends up like a candy wrapper, sealing the seitan in.
- Steam for 1 hour. Place the vegan ham into the steaming basket and steam for 1 hour.
- Make the ham glaze. While the seitan ham steams, make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, maple syrup, brown sugar, dijon mustard, and paprika. Set aside.
- Bake the ham. Preheat the oven to 350 ºF. Once the seitan has steamed, remove it from the steamer basket and carefully unwrap it, discarding the parchment paper and foil. Place the ham onto a baking sheet, generously brush with the glaze, and roast for 30 minutes, brushing with glaze every 10 minutes.
- Serve. Remove the ham roast from the oven and allow to cool completely for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing. If using as deli meat, allow to cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
- We recommend using a vegan beef broth for the best savory flavor, but store-bought or homemade vegetable broth will work well, too.
- Storage: Leftover vegan ham will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or for 3 months in the freezer. If freezing, first wrap the roast in a tight layer of plastic wrap, followed by an outer layer of aluminum foil. This will help prevent freezer burn and prolong the flavor and great meaty texture of the roast. Reheat leftovers in the microwave or in the oven, covered, until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: entree