Most of us have had stuffing for Thanksgiving, but have you had BISCUIT stuffing? Your mind is going to be blown with this recipe! It’s rich, easy to make and ready in under an hour.
- 12 (16 oz.) vegan buttermilk biscuits* (see notes)
- 8 oz. vegan sausage or sausage crumbles (we used Lightlife Italian Sausages)
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 4 oz. white mushrooms, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- The night before, prepare the biscuits according to the package directions or recipe that you are following. Cover the biscuits and store them on your countertop overnight. Baking them the night before will yield the best results, but you can make them the day if you need to, just be sure to cool them completely before moving on.
- Preheat to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Using a sharp knife, cut biscuits into 1-inch cubes and arrange them in a single layer on the lined baking sheet. Place them into the oven and bake until they are toasted and dried out (about 10-15 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the oven and set it aside to cool completely. Increase the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Once cooled, transfer the biscuits to a large bowl.
- To a medium saucepan over medium heat, add in 1 tablespoon of vegan butter. Once the butter has melted, crumble in/add in the vegan sausage that you are using and cook until it has browned, about 5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks if necessary. Once cooked, add to a large bowl.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add in the final 1 tablespoon of vegan butter. Add in the garlic, onion, celery, and mushroom, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the chopped herbs and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the onion mixture along with the cooled biscuits to the bowl the sausage and fold everything together until well combined. Lastly, pour the vegetable broth over the mixture and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch or 3-quart baking dish and transfer the mixture to the baking dish. Spread everything out into an even layer and pack it down lightly.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place it into the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Uncover the dish and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes more.
- Remove the stuffing from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Recipe method adapted from The Kitchn.
- Believe it or not, a lot of store-bought biscuits are vegan! Make sure you check the ingredients first. A good brand is Immaculate Baking.
- Category: Thanksgiving, Side
- Method: Oven, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Thanksgiving, Side, Stuffing, Dressing, Vegan, Buttermilk, Biscuit