These crispy breaded cauliflower steaks make for the perfect vegan holiday entree! They’re easy to prepare and ready in about an hour!
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast or powdered vegan parmesan
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or dried herbs of choice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Using a sharp knife, trim the excess stem and leaves off of the cauliflower and cut the end stem. Be careful to not remove too much of the center of the stem to keep the cauliflower intact.
- Starting at one end of the cauliflower, cut 4-5 li1-inch slices vertically through it. The two end pieces will probably crumble, so just do your best to get 2-3 steaks! You can still bread the remaining smaller pieces, they are still great!
- Prepare a steamer pot with 1 inch of water medium-high heat. Once simmering, add cauliflower steaks (and any other pieces), cover, and steam for 4-5 minutes to partially cook. Then remove them from the pot and set them aside to cool so they are easy to handle.
- In a wide bowl (larger than the cauliflower steak), whisk together the ingredients for the wet batter until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate wide bowl (larger than the cauliflower steak), mix together all of the ingredients for the dry mixture. Set aside.
- Dunk the cauliflower steaks into the wet mixture, bring sure that it is fully coated. Shake off any excess and then dip it into the dry mixture. Fully coat the cauliflower on all sides. If necessary, use your hands or a spoon to sprinkle over the breadcrumb mix into the crevices of the cauliflower.
- Place the cauliflower onto the lined baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until golden brown and crispy. Allow them to cool before serving.
- We have also successfully prepared this recipe in an air fryer. Do air fry, cook at 400ºF for about 20 minutes, or until crispy. All air fryers vary in size and strength, so keep an eye on the cauliflower so it does not burn. We recommend an oven over an air fryer as it has a more ideal final consistency.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Entree, Thanksgiving
- Method: Oven
Keywords: thanksgiving, holiday, christmas, steak, cauliflower, breaded, crispy