This vegan chicken noodle soup is easy to make, jam-packed with flavor and is guaranteed to hit the spot during the cold winter months!
For the soup:
- 1 (9 oz.) bag Beyond Meat Grilled Chicken Strips*
- 9–10 cups vegetable broth made from Better Than Boullion Vegan Chicken Base*
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning or poultry seasoning, divided in half
- 1 cup carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 to 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1½ cups gluten-free fusilli (or pasta of choice)
- 1/2 tablespoon chickpea miso
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Serve with (optional):
- Fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Crackers or bread
- Prepare the chicken: Remove the chicken strips from the freezer and allow them to thaw on the counter for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. In a small bowl, toss together the Beyond Meat, 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth. Spread onto the baking tray and roast for 15 minutes or until golden, flipping halfway through. Cool completely, then pull apart and shred by hand (see photos). Set aside.
- Prepare the soup: In a large pot over medium heat, add 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable broth. Once heated, add the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic, and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the bay leaf, remaining Italian seasoning, and thyme, and sauté for a minute more, then pour in the remaining vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the pasta and cook according to the packaging directions. Ours took about 8-10 minutes.
- Once cooked, take about 1/4 cup of the broth and add it to a small bowl. Whisk in the miso until smooth and then add it back into the soup. Add in the shredded chicken, season with salt and pepper to taste, and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve with fresh thyme, a wedge of lemon and vegan crackers or bread.
- If you prefer not to use vegan chicken, you can opt for tofu or even chickpeas and roast them the same way we did with the chicken, sans the shredding. We do recommend you press the tofu beforehand!
- Check out Plant Philosophy and From My Bowl for more vegan chicken noodle soup variations!
- The vegan chicken preparation method is originally from Beyond Meat.
- You can replace some of the vegetable broth as desired.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 6 months.
- Category: Soup, Entree, Lunch