This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These vegan snickers bars are made with layers of no-bake vegan nougat, homemade vegan caramel, and salty peanuts, then dipped in a rich layer of dark chocolate. Stash them in the refrigerator and enjoy this dairy-free twist on the popular chocolate candy bar all month long.
If you’re planning a Halloween party, you’ve come to the right place! Halloween was a big deal in my family growing up, so naturally, I’ve created a few vegan Halloween treats and snacks to share with you. We celebrated big with the BEST costumes and treats like these super cute Vegan Halloween Cupcakes and spooky snacks like Halloween Edible Eyeballs, Halloween Sushi, Halloween Cookies, and Apple Monster Mouths.
Are Snickers Vegan?
The OG Snickers bars by Mars are not vegan-friendly. The ingredients listed on the nutrition label include milk chocolate, skim milk, lactose, and egg whites.
Since Snickers bars were easily the BEST candy growing up, I knew I had to make my vegan-friendly version for Halloween parties, holiday gifting, and any occasion that requires a vegan candy bar. This homemade vegan alternative is also gluten-free, dairy-free and is completely no-bake.
Vegan snickers bars ingredients:
- Salted peanuts: Essential to achieving that nostalgic snickers bar crunch. We love using salted peanuts to balance the sweetness of the caramel and chocolate. If you only have raw, unsalted peanuts, sprinkle sea salt on the caramel layer.
- Caramel: We made our own caramel sauce to use in these dairy-free snickers bars and highly recommend it, but if you are short on time or have a favorite store-bought vegan caramel, that will work as well.
- Chocolate chips: Use your favorite vegan chocolate chips here. Any will do!
- Vegan Nougat: Oat flour, coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt make the vegan nougat layer. Make your own oat flour at home by grinding rolled oats in a high-speed blender until flour has formed.
- Rimmed baking sheet, baking pan, or loaf pan
- Parchment paper or Silicone baking mat
- Glass or ceramic bowl
- Small pot
- Cutting board and Knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
How to make vegan snickers bars
*Note: Prepare your vegan caramel ahead of time. We have a few caramel recipes for you to choose from on the blog. For the most authentic tasting caramel and vegan snickers bars, make our 5-ingredient vegan caramel. For the healthiest option, choose our Easy Date Caramel. Or, if you want to put a peanut butter twist on your vegan snickers alternative, try our Peanut Butter Caramel recipe from our Vegan Apple Galette. All three of these options last in the fridge, so feel free to prep them a few days in advance.
- Make the vegan nougat recipe. In a medium bowl, mix together the oat flour, coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt until well combined. We find this easiest to do with clean hands, but you can also use a silicone baking spatula. Once combined, pour the vegan nougat layer into a lined 8-inch square pan. We only used ½ of the baking pan for our preferred vegan snickers bars thickness.
- Add a layer of vegan caramel. No matter which vegan caramel you choose, you’ll need about ½-¾ cup of caramel. This does not need to be a perfect measurement – just layer on enough to cover the vegan nougat.
- Press in peanuts. Add an even layer of salted peanuts and gently press them into the caramel so they stick.
- Transfer to the freezer. Place the pan in the freezer to harden for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate. While the vegan snickers bar filling is in the freezer, begin to melt the chocolate. Add the vegan chocolate chips into the upper bowl or pot of a double boiler on the stovetop and allow the chips to melt slowly. Mix often with a spatula until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Cut the vegan snickers bar filling into individual bars. We cut ours into 6 bars, but cut yours as big or small as you’d like. Try cutting small squares to make mini vegan snickers bars bites!
- Coat in chocolate. Using two forks, dunk one vegan snickers bar filling into the chocolate and evenly coat. Allow excess chocolate to drop off, then place on the lined baking sheet to set. Repeat with the remaining snickers bars.
- Set in the refrigerator. Place the vegan snickers bars in the refrigerator (or freezer) for about 15 minutes or until the chocolate is hardened.
- Enjoy. Allow the snickers bars to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes to soften before enjoying.
- Use our homemade chocolate bars: Swap the dark chocolate chips for 10 ounces of our homemade vegan chocolate (about 3 bars).
- Make these snicker bars peanut-free: If you are allergic to peanuts or simply don’t have peanuts in the pantry, swap them for another nut like chopped almonds, hazelnuts, or pecans. You could also omit the peanuts completely if preferred.
- Make a vegan peanut butter nougat: Swap the melted coconut butter for runny peanut butter for a peanut butter twist on these vegan Snickers.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave: If you don’t have the right-sized glass bowl to make your own double boiler, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 20 or 30-second bursts, stirring in between until just melted.
Storage and freezing instructions
These healthy vegan candy bars will last for up to 1 month in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer. For best results, store in an airtight container or silicone bag.
What Halloween candy can vegans eat?
If you love celebrating Halloween as much as we do, you might wonder which premade candy you can dig into or hand out to Trick-or-Treaters this year.
Here’s a quick list of some of the completely vegan Halloween candies (at least in the United States):
- Swedish Fish
- Jolly Ranchers
- Sour Patch Kids
- Justin’s Peanut Butter Cups
Other homemade vegan Halloween candy recipes you may enjoy:
- Vegan Milky Way Bars
- Vegan Take 5 Bars
- Chocolate Crunch Bars
- Homemade Vegan Chocolate Bars
- Swirled Chocolate Bark
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!