Loaded with roasted peanuts, gluten-free nougat, real deal homemade vegan caramel, and melted dark chocolate, these homemade snickers bars are going to change the way you snack. All of the ingredients here are of course vegan-friendly and absolutely delightful. If you’re a candy lover, this is the recipe for you!
1/3 cup salted peanuts
1/4-1/2 recipe of our vegan caramel (depending on how thick you want it)
1 bag (10 oz.) vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour*
- 1/4 cup coconut butter, melted*
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Line a rimmed baking sheet (we used an 8-inch square pan) with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the nougat until well combined, using your hands as needed. Pour the nougat layer into the lined sheet and press down tightly until evenly distributed. We only used 1/2 of the baking dish (so the other half is empty).
- Begin to evenly spread the caramel onto the nougat layer, and then follow with an even layer of the peanuts. Place the pan into the freezer to harden for at least 30 minutes.
- Just before you remove the mixture from the freezer, melt the chocolate. Prepare a double boiler by bringing a small pot of water to a boil. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and place either a fitted glass (or ceramic) bowl or another smaller pot over the water. The key here is to make sure that water does not get into the bowl or pot and mix in with the chocolate. Add the chocolate chips into the upper bowl or pot and allow them to slowly melt, mixing often with a spatula. Once the chocolate has melted, turn off the heat and remove the upper bowl or pot and set aside.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Remove the baking dish from the freezer and remove the contents onto a cutting board. Cut into small rectangles (we cut ours into 6).
- Using two forks, dunk one square into the chocolate and evenly coat. Allow excess chocolate to drip off and then place it on the lined baking sheet to set and continue with the remaining squares.
- Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator or freezer to set or about 15 minutes. Allow the chocolate to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes or so to soften before digging in.
- Store in an airtight container for in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- When we make this recipe, we made it at the same time as our Milky Way bars because they used the same exact ingredients except for the peanuts.
- We used half of an 8×8″ pan for this recipe but we would recommend a smaller pan to make thicker and more authentic looking bars.
- If you have a peanut allergy, feel free to swap out the peanuts for any nut of choice.
- Melt the coconut butter by placing it into a large bowl with hot water. Allow it to sit, stirring often, until it is smooth.
- You can make oat flour at home by grinding rolled oats in a high-speed blender until a flour has formed.
- If you want to use something in place of the coconut butter, almond and peanut butter work great.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Candy, Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Snickers, Candy, Chocolate, halloween, gluten-free, vegan, snack, kids