A creamy, flavor-packed and dairy-free french onion dip that is easy to make and perfect for the super bowl or any party that you will be heading to. It’s vegan, gluten-free and most importantly, delicious!
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup vegan beef broth (we use Better Than Bouillon)
- 16 oz. vegan sour cream (we used Tofutti)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (we used this brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add in about 3 tablespoons of the vegan beef broth. Once heated, add the onions and garlic, and cook down, stirring occasionally, for about 20-35 minutes, depending on how browned you want your onions. You will need to add more vegetable broth (3 tbsp at a time) as time passes to prevent burning, but the KEY is to only add more broth once all of the previously added liquid has completely cooked off/dried out. Continue until you have used up all of the broth and the onions reach your desired consistency. We have tried this recipe with both golden brown onions and dark brown caramelized onions, and both are great!
- Add the cooked onions and garlic into a large bowl along with the vegan sour cream, chives, parsley, vegan Worcestershire, salt, pepper, celery seed and paprika. Mix until everything is uniform and then adjust seasonings to taste.
- Place the dip into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (overnight possible) to chill and most importantly to allow all of the flavors to marry together.
- Serve with potato chips, vegetables, etc. and enjoy!
- The consistency of this dip will depend on the sour cream that you use — some sour creams on the market are thicker than others. You can adjust the consistency by adding water or vegan beef broth as needed.
- If you want to make this recipe even more onion-packed, you can add in 1-2 teaspoons of onion powder.
- The nutrition facts do not take into consideration the addition of salt and pepper to taste.
- To take this to the next level, you can replace 4 oz. of the vegan sour cream with vegan mayo.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dip, Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Keywords: Dip, Appetizer, French, Onion, Caramelized, Easy, Vegan, Gluten-free