Hot and fluffy herbed dinner rolls baked to perfection and smothered in an herb-infused garlic butter, can it get any better than that?
Herbed Skillet Bread
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon lukewarm almond milk
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 4 cups (544g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped herbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
Garlic Herb Butter
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped herbs
- In a medium-sized bowl, add in the lukewarm almond milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix until dissolved and then add in the yeast. Set it aside to activate for 8-10 minutes, or until foamy.
- To a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer), add in the remaining sugar, all-purpose flour, herbs, salt, baking powder, and garlic powder. Mix until uniform. Pour in the activated yeast as well as the melted butter and mix until uniform. Mix together until a smooth dough forms, using your hands as necessary. Add more flour or more almond milk as needed, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Knead for 5-10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and bounces back when poked.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl, tossing once, and cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap. Set it aside in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Lightly grease your cast-iron skillet (or baking dish of your choice). Set aside.
- Once the dough rises, divide it into 15 equal pieces and form them into balls. Evenly arrange the dough balls in the cast iron skillet. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and set it aside in a warm place to rise once again for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the rolls and bake for 30-34 minutes, or until golden brown.
- As it bakes, prepare the garlic herb butter. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add in the vegan butter. Once melted, add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add in the herbs and cook for 1-2 minutes more, or until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the rolls have baked, brush them liberally with the garlic herb butter. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 34 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
Keywords: dinner, rolls, bread, herb, garlic, buttered, appetizer, holiday