Who knew making your own vegan gravy at home could be so simple? With minimal ingredients and just 10 minutes of your time, you’ll have a rich and savory gravy to top all of your favorite foods with this Thanksgiving.
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, or more as needed (see notes for gluten-free)
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- 1/2 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire (we used Annie’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add in the vegan butter and melt. Once it has melted, add in the all-purpose flour and whisk it into the butter. Cook for 3 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Slowly whisk in the vegan chicken or vegetable broth, as well as the soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, poultry seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder. Whisk together until smooth.
- Bring up the heat and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, and allow the gravy to cook down, stirring often, until it reaches the thickness of your choice, about 5-7 minutes. You may be tempted to add more flour but I recommend not doing so until the very end, it will thicken more than you expect!
- You can add broth or water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if you’d like a thinner gravy.
- Season with black pepper to taste and enjoy!
- In order to make this, you can use cornstarch to thicken your gravy. Keep in mind that cornstarch thickens much faster than flour, so we suggest you only use 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch. We have not tested this substitution but based on our experience, it should work!
- This gravy may thicken as it cools, especially if you place it in the refrigerator. Fear not! Simply add it into a pot and warm it up. If necessary, you can add broth or water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it loosens up.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Sauce, Thanksgiving, Holiday
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Sauce, Thanksgiving, Holiday, Stovetop, Vegan