A delicious and simple tofu sandwich smothered in a tangy date-sweetened barbecue sauce and topped with a crunchy homemade coleslaw!
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4–1/3 cup cornstarch (or you can opt for all-purpose flour)
- Salt and pepper
- Date-Sweetened Barbecue Sauce, or barbecue sauce of choice
- 4 vegan burger buns (we used the gluten-free buns from Little Northern Bakehouse)
- 12 pickles (or as many as desired)
- The Best Vegan Coleslaw
- Drain and press your tofu for at least 1 hour. We have info and a video tutorial on this blog post on how to press it without a tofu press. Once the tofu is pressed, pat it dry with a clean kitchen towel to ensure that all liquid has been removed.
- Slice the tofu lengthwise into two large rectangles, and then slice those again lengthwise into two more pieces for a total of 4 pieces.
- Place the cornstarch into a wide and shallow bowl. Dunk each piece of tofu in the cornstarch and coat all sides, being sure to shake off any excess. Repeat with all of the tofu steaks.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or a frying pan over medium heat and add in olive oil or canola oil. Once heated, add in the tofu. Fry for about 5 minutes on each side or until the tofu is golden brown. Line a large plate with a paper towel and set the cooked tofu on there to drain out any excess oil.
- Adjust the heat as needed to prevent burning. We always use the first piece of tofu as a test and then adjust accordingly. For the second batch, we like to cook all three remaining pieces at once to speed things up, but you can also cook them individually.
- Dust the tofu with salt and pepper, as desired, and allow it to cool until easy to handle.
- Smother each tofu piece with barbecue sauce on both sides with either a spoon or a pastry brush.
- Toast the buns as desired and place the barbecue tofu on the bottom slice. Top with 3 pickles and coleslaw, along with any other ingredients of your choice, and then seal shut with the top bun. You can use a toothpick to keep it together if needed! Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- Category: Sandwiches, Summer
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Summer, Sandwich, barbecue, tofu, coleslaw, party