A brand new way to serve peanut sauce — in an amazing loaded sandwich!
- 1 Chinese eggplant, sliced into 1/2″ rounds
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/2” rounds
- 2 tablespoon coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vegan hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch ground pepper
- 1/2 large white onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1+ cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water, or as needed to smooth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut nectar (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon sriracha (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tomato, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
Eggplant and Zucchini:
- Line a baking pan and preheat the broiler.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut aminos, rice vinegar, hoisin, garlic powder and pepper. Add in the eggplant and zucchini into the sauce and mix until every piece is coated.
- Place the eggplant and zucchini on the baking tray in a single layer, and place into the oven to broil for 7 minutes, until browned. Save any extra marinade in the bowl.
- Remove from the oven, flip, add leftover marinade on top, and broil for 3 more minutes or until nicely browned. Be sure to check up on it often to prevent burning.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Add 1/4 cup vegetable broth into a pan over medium-low heat. Once warmed, add in the onion and cook down, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add more broth as needed to prevent burning, but don’t add more until it has cooked off.
To prepare your sauce, simply whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth.
To prepare the sandwiches, toast the bread, then spread half of the peanut sauce on one half of each sandwich. Divide the eggplant, zucchini, onions, lettuce and tomatoes between each sandwich as desired then seal with the other slice of bread.
- Prep Time: 18 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Entree