This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This vegan chicken pesto sandwich is the ultimate lazy Trader Joe’s meal. It’s a breeze to put together, and each flavor bursts with flavor from the sundried tomatoes, pesto, roasted red peppers, and vegan chicken pieces. Once you give it a try, this simple sandwich will be on your regular meal rotation!
Here’s Everything You Need to Make this Vegan Chicken Pesto Sandwich
- Ciabatta Rolls – Fuffy bread that is perfectly constructed for sandwiches. I recommend freezing these if you don’t intend to eat them immediately because they will mold in a few days! Find these Ciabatta Rolls in the bread aisle. Price: $1.99
- Vegan Kale, Cashew & Basil Pesto – Trader Joe’s vegan version of pesto is one of my go-to staple products. It whips up kale, cashews, and basil with olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper for a flavor bomb you will never forget. Find this pesto in the store’s refrigerated section near the other dips. Price: $3.99
- Fire Roasted Red Peppers – A simple and delicious staple of red peppers roasted over an open flame and jarred with salt, water, and red wine vinegar. I love to use these on sandwiches, pasta, and salads, but the options are endless. Find these fire-roasted red peppers in the center of the store near the other jarred and pickled vegetables. Price: $2.99
- Dairy-free Mozzarella Shreds – A dairy-free alternative to mozzarella cheese shreds. It melts great and is perfect on this sandwich. Find these dairy-free cheese shreds in the refrigerated cheese section. Price: $3.99
- Julianne Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil – The perfect sun-dried tomato jarred up in olive oil and perfect for sandwiches, salads, and much more. They’re loaded with flavor and add the perfect flare to this sandwich. Find these sundried tomatoes in the center of the store down the aisle with the other jarred and pickled vegetables. Price $4.49
- Chickenless Crispy Tenders – These make for the perfect meatless snack or appetizer. They’re also perfect on this vegan chicken pesto sandwich. I find them best cooked in the air-fryer, but you can also bake or pan-fry them. Find these chickenless crispy tenders near the other frozen chicken products in the frozen section. Price: $3.79
Here’s How to Make this Vegan Chicken Pesto Sandwich:
- Cook the Chickenless Tenders. Prepare the tenders according to package instructions. I prefer to use the air-fry method.
- Slice the bread. Cut the ciabatta rolls evenly down the middle. At this point, you can either toast the bread or leave it as it is. (I left it as it is since we will be toasting it later on in the process.)
- Add the ingredients to the sandwich. First, add the pesto to both sides of the bread. Next, layer on one bell pepper, cut in half, 3 cooked tenders, sun-dried tomatoes, and a sprinkle of dairy-free mozzarella.
- Toast. Pop the sandwich, open-faced into a toaster or conventional oven, along with the top slice of bread. Toast or bake until the cheese is melty and the bread is toasty. About 5-7 minutes. If using a conventional oven, I recommend setting the temperature to 350 degrees F.