This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These sweet and smoky chickpea burgers are the perfect homemade veggie burger. They’re hearty, delicious, and made with simple ingredients. Plus, they’re both vegan and gluten-free!
The recipe that we are featuring today is from Simply Delicious Vegan, a new cookbook which contains 100 vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free recipes by Caitlin Shoemaker, the creator of From My Bowl (and one of our best friends ♥️).
Every recipe in the book is made from wholesome plant-based ingredients, but doesn’t sacrifice on taste. The book proves that unprocessed, plant-based food doesn’t have to be expensive, complicated, or boring—and it’s a bonus that it can help you feel your best! Whether you need an easy breakfast, quick-fix dinner, fancy main, or dazzling dessert, this book has something for everyone.
What we love about this recipe is how simple and straightforward both the ingredients and instructions are. Plus of course that this recipe is flavor packed and definitely will be a repeat in this house!
Here is what you will need for this recipe:
- Chickpeas: you could cook your own or use canned. We went for the latter to simplify the prep for this recipe.
- Roasted red peppers: brings the touch of sweetness to these burgers!
- Onion: a simple yet essential aromatic flavor base to start this dish off right.
- Lemon: adds a burst of freshness and brightens up all of the flavors in this dish!
- Tomato paste: it’s concentrated, almost meaty taste adds nuance and body to these burgers
- Smoked paprika: helps make these burgers nice and smoky!
- Italian seasoning: the flavor depends on the herbs used and the ratio of each herb, which vary from brand to brand. We used this one.
- Brown rice flour: helps to bind the recipes and also prevent it from getting too mushy. Plus. it’s gluten-free!
- Flaxseed meal: acts as a binder in this recipe to keep the burger from falling apart!
If you’re looking for more simple and delicious vegan recipes, we’ve got you covered!
- Check out Caitlin’s website From My Bowl for more of her original creations!
- One-Pot Pasta
- One-Pot Red Curry Peanut Ramen
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Vegan Pasta Primavera
- 5-Ingredient Vegan Chili
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!
This recipe is excerpted from Simply Delicious Vegan © 2020 Abrams Books.