These sweet and smoky chickpea burgers are the perfect homemade veggie burger. They’re hearty, delicious, and made with simple ingredients. Plus, they’re both vegan and gluten-free!
- 2 1/2 cups (420g) salt-free cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup (95g) roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- Juice 1/2 lemon (1 to 3 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup (80g) brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- Gluten-free burger buns
- Curly lettuce
- Sliced cucumber
- Everyday Tahini Sauce
- Make the chickpea burgers: Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Put 1 1/2 cups (255g) of the chickpeas, the roasted peppers, onion, lemon juice, tomato paste, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and salt in a food processor. Process until a thick and relatively smooth paste forms, scraping the sides of the food processor as necessary.
- Add the brown rice flour and flaxseed to the food processor and pulse to combine. Finally add the remaining 1 cup (165g) chickpeas and pulse until they are evenly incorporated into the burger mixture, but still chunky.
- Slightly wet your hands and divide the dough to form six even burger patties. Round and flatten each patty with your hands, then place it on the baking sheet. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes, then use a spatula to flip each patty. Return to the top rack of the oven and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until both sides are golden and crispy.
- Place each burger on a gluten-free bun and top with lettuce, cucumber, and tahini sauce. Serve warm. Store any leftover patties in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: burger, chickpea, smoky, bell pepper, entree, lunch, dinner, gluten free