Learn how to make this easy and cozy soup recipe with just a handful of simple ingredients and less than an hour of your time. It perfect for the winter months so dang good! Plus, it’s vegan!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 7.5 cups (60 oz.) vegetable broth
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/3 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary (or 1/3 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage (or 1/3 teaspoon dried)
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegan croutons
- Pumpkin seeds
- In a large pot, add in 2 tablespoons of water or vegetable broth. Add the onion carrot, celery, and garlic, and sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add and sweet potatoes and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes. Be sure to add more water or broth, 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent burning.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients except for the kale. Stir and then cook on medium-low heat for 35 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Remove from heat and add in the kale and allow. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper to taste and dig in!
- The nutrition facts do not take into consideration the addition of salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are not a fan of sweet potatoes, you can use white potatoes or any potato of your choice.
- No lentils? No problem! You can swap them out for any cooked canned beans, just be sure to add them in at the end with the greens so that they keep their shape/don’t overcook.
- You can use spinach in place of the kale, or a green of your choice! Some greens are tougher than others and may require additional cooking, so just use your own judgement and preferences to adjust the cook time accordingly.
- If you want to use dry herbs in place of the fresh, use 1/3 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/3 teaspoon dried rosemary and 1/3 teaspoon dried sage.
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Soup, Entree, Sweet Potato, Lentil, Vegan