An easy vegan tortilla soup that is flavor-packed, budget-friendly, and ready in less than 30 minutes! You can feed your whole family for less than $5 with this recipe, talk about a bargain.
- 4 cups + 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.25 oz.) can corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Homemade Tortilla Strips (below, or you use store-bought tortilla chips. See notes for a baked option)
Homemade Tortilla Strips
- 5–8 corn tortillas (halved and cut into thin strips)
- Oil for frying (we used avocado oil)
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Avocado, sliced
- For the soup: In a large pot over medium heat, add in 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Add in the remaining vegetable broth, tomatoes, black beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, and oregano, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and allow to soup to cook for 15 minutes more. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the tortillas: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Line a large plate with paper towel and set aside. To test if the oil is heated through, use tongs to carefully dip in a test tortilla strip. If the strip starts to bubble (and fry), the oil is ready. Add the tortilla strips in a single layer and fry until crisp and golden, about 1 minute. The strips will bubble rapidly at first and as they start to finish, the bubbles will diminish significantly. Remove the strips from oil with tongs or a slotted spoon and add them onto the paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Assembly: Once everything has cooked, serve the soup with toppings of your choice. Along with the tortilla strips, we enjoyed this with avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
- For a baked tortilla chip/strip option: Cut 5 tortillas into strips and add them into a medium to large bowl. Drizzle them with about 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of your choice (we like avocado) and toss until well coated. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Arrange the oiled tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place into the oven and bake until crispy and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool before serving (this will help it crisp up more). If you would like to bake the tortilla strips without oil, it is best done in a convection oven or air fryer. Note that oil-free tortilla strips tend to be tough/get hard easily, and so that’s why we recommend using a spritz of oil.
- The nutrition facts are an estimate using store-bought tortilla chips as we were not able to determine the nutrition facts for the homemade strips.
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Mexican, Gluten-free
Keywords: Vegan, Mexican, Gluten-free, Soup, Entree, Tortilla, Easy, 30 Minute