A vegan twist on a fall classic, this apple crisp recipe is both delicious and simple to make. Nothing beats the smell of ooey-gooey baked apples smothered in cinnamon sugar with a crispy topping…am I right? Plus, it’s gluten and oil-free!
- 4 cups (446 g) sliced apples (click here for a list of great apples for baking)
- 2–3 tablespoons vegan honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp (12g) cornstarch
- 1 cup (90g) gluten-free rolled oats (we used this brand)
- 1/4 cup (28g) blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup (42g) finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (50g) coconut sugar (you can also use brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Vegan vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and have a medium-sized baking dish ready. The dish we used was 10″×8″. You can lightly grease the dish if you’d like but we skipped that and it worked just fine.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the apple filling except for the cornstarch. Once everything is uniform, sprinkle over the cornstarch and give it another good mix. Transfer all of the filling into the baking dish and spread it out as evenly as you can.
- In the same large bowl, add in all of the ingredients for the crumble topping and mix until well combined. It will be crumbly with a granola-like consistency. Evenly distribute the topping over the apples in the baking dish.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake on the middle rack for 45 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the filling has thickened.
- Cool for about 10 minutes or until it is easy to handle and serve with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
- This can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Category: Dessert, Fall
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-Free
Keywords: Dessert, Fall, Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-Free crisp, apple, cinnamon, thanksgiving