If you’re a fan of lemons, spring baking and gluten-free desserts, this recipe is for you! This lemon poppyseed loaf is light and fluffy while still perfectly sweet and moist. It’s easy to make and perfect for dessert or even in the morning with a nice cup of coffee!
Gluten-Free Lemon Poppyseed Loaf
- 1/2 cup warm unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (we used this one; you can also sub all-purpose flour)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar*
- 1/3 cup poppyseeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (chickpea brine aka liquid from canned chickpeas)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line or oil a bread pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond milk, coconut oil, lemon juice, flaxseed meal, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes to allow the flaxseed meal to thicken.
- In the meantime, grab another large bowl and add in the aquafaba and cream of tartar and whip with a hand mixer or a standing mixer on medium-high for 8-10 minutes, or until firm peaks form. Set aside.
- Once the flaxseed mixture has set, add in the gluten-free flour, sugar, poppyseeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until very well combined and uniform. Add in the aquafaba mixture and gently fold it into the batter. If needed, add the aquafaba in batches to prevent spilling.
- Once the mixture is uniform, transfer the batter to the lined bread pan. Level off the top of the batter with a spatula and place it into the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick in the middle runs clean.
- In the meantime, prepare the icing. Add all of the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool for 20 minutes. Remove the loaf from the pan and transfer it onto a cutting board or even a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack. Generously drizzle the loaf with the icing and allow it to set for 10 minutes. Once the icing has hardened, slice into the bread with a sharp knife and enjoy!
- We have tested this recipe with coconut sugar and although it works well, we prefer organic cane sugar over coconut sugar as it does not alter the color of the bread.
- If you have access to Meyer lemons, we recommend you use them in this recipe!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Lemon, Poppyseed, Loaf, Glaze, Gluten-free, Vegan, Dessert