A new take on the traditional shepherd’s pie that is 100% vegan and made inside of a potato instead of in a dish. It’s perfect to make for parties and impress even the pickiest eaters.
- 7–8 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1–2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (or plain vegan cream cheese)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely diced mushrooms
- 10 oz. vegan ground beef (we use Beyond Meat)
- 2 tablespoons flour (gluten-free as needed)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon vegan & gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1–½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1–½ cups frozen vegetable mix (carrots, peas, and green beans)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Clean and prick 7-8 medium potatoes, then microwave for about 10-13 minutes or until cooked, carefully flipping halfway through.*
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. In a medium pan over medium heat, add in 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable broth (from the 1 cup). Once heated, add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms andsauté until cooked through. Once cooked, add in the frozen vegan beef crumbles and cook until it has thawed.
- Sprinkle with the flour and mix until fully coated, then add in the remaining ingredients. Mix through until the vegetables are thawed and everything is cooked through for about 4-5 minutes, then set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and cool enough to handle, cut the tops off (refer to the video if needed). Scoop the potatoes out using a spoon, leaving a thin wall in each boat, and add what you scoop out to a medium bowl. To the bowl of potatoes, add the almond milk, vegan butter, and salt, then mash until smooth. Optional but recommended: add the mashed potatoes into a piping bag with a large star tip and set aside.
- Fill the potato boats with the filling and pipe over the mashed potatoes. Place into the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with vegan gravy, if desired.
- The microwave cooking time may take longer or shorter depending on the size of your potatoes and your microwave.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes